FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Broke down on a short drive and a fun story

My VIN:    5312

Broke down on a short drive and a fun story

Decided i would take 5312 on a fun sunday drive and go for a coffee. Its about a 15 mile trip there and 15 back. on the way i noticed a very random bucking, every mile or so. I have new eibach shocks and she rides smooth, but it was a weird feeling. Got to my destination no problem. On the way home it happened alot more then my oil light, came on and the bucking came back and the motor died. On the side of the road i let her rest for 30 minutes, she cranks but nothing, i noticed my battery was like 10 volts, so i had a buddy go buy me a new battery( mine is about 6 years old so hey why not). I figured maybe my alternator died, (new from dmc in 2014 and not many miles on it). With the new battery, cranked just fien again. OK MAYBE its my rpm relay. I have daves RPM relay. I pulled it off and using the guide on the forum i jumped from the purple white to brown, nothing, then from the purple wire to the green, nothing. I ended up getting a tow the short rest of the way home safely. Ill go back later this week with my multimeter and tools. My fuel pump is the newest one DMCH offered in 2014. Haven't ever had issues with it, until possibly now. Anything i should check? Phone was dying so didnt get to check much but a few threads here on the forum before my phone died. Now the annoying part of owning a delorean, and its not the occasional break down. While im on the side of the road, not one couple, but two seperate older couples stop, ask to take a photo of the car and tried to buy her off me....while im broke down on the side of the freeway trying to troubleshoot lol. Only in this car i swear. as like, DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW!!! bwuahaha So how was your sunday?
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Decided i would take 5312 on a fun sunday drive and go for a coffee. Its about a 15 mile trip there and 15 back. on the way i noticed a very random bucking, every mile or so. I have new eibach shocks and she rides smooth, but it was a weird feeling. Got to my destination no problem. On the way home it happened alot more then my oil light, came on and the bucking came back and the motor died. On the side of the road i let her rest for 30 minutes, she cranks but nothing, i noticed my battery was like 10 volts, so i had a buddy go buy me a new battery( mine is about 6 years old so hey why not). I figured maybe my alternator died, (new from dmc in 2014 and not many miles on it). With the new battery, cranked just fien again. OK MAYBE its my rpm relay. I have daves RPM relay. I pulled it off and using the guide on the forum i jumped from the purple white to brown, nothing, then from the purple wire to the green, nothing. I ended up getting a tow the short rest of the way home safely. Ill go back later this week with my multimeter and tools. My fuel pump is the newest one DMCH offered in 2014. Haven't ever had issues with it, until possibly now. Anything i should check? Phone was dying so didnt get to check much but a few threads here on the forum before my phone died. Now the annoying part of owning a delorean, and its not the occasional break down. While im on the side of the road, not one couple, but two seperate older couples stop, ask to take a photo of the car and tried to buy her off me....while im broke down on the side of the freeway trying to troubleshoot lol. Only in this car i swear. as like, DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW!!! bwuahaha So how was your sunday?
    Keep us posted! I'd like to know what it turns out to be.

issue has been figured out. Took me two minutes and im pissed at myself. Went to work on the car today expecting to find something crazy, turns out the roads are so shit here that i hit enough bumps to make the lead come off the coil ignition. Popped the wire back on and she starts up like new. Crisis averted lol

issue has been figured out. Took me two minutes and im pissed at myself. Went to work on the car today expecting to find something crazy, turns out the roads are so shit here that i hit enough bumps to make the lead come off the coil ignition. Popped the wire back on and she starts up like new. Crisis averted lol
    oh, no way! lucky break

My VIN:    10201

Same thing happened to me when I hit a semi tire

I was doing all my troubleshooting on paper until i could get to the car on the weekend. I was like...all hoses have been updated, fuel systems been in great check, new dmch pump in 2014, new spark plugs etc within 4 months. What could it be. Was mad i paid to get towed. When i was on the side of the road i went straight to battery and the fuse box, i only glimpsed into the engine bay. Shame on me for nuking it bleh

My VIN:    10201

I was 5 miles from work and 45 miles from home. Car died around 8pm. Tow truck was late and showed up at 11pm. I got it towed to work since we had a lift and I wouldn't be covered for the trip home. Ended up sleeping in the car cause I had no way of getting a ride home. All for a loose wire.

I’m glad it was something simple and inexpensive!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I was 5 miles from work and 45 miles from home. Car died around 8pm. Tow truck was late and showed up at 11pm. I got it towed to work since we had a lift and I wouldn't be covered for the trip home. Ended up sleeping in the car cause I had no way of getting a ride home. All for a loose wire.
    That sucks. I keep a few blankets in my car for this very reason.