FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump, dmc

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I apologize, perhaps I took that thread differently. From that link, I got the impression there were some who had experienced failures and went with different pumps but overall the experience had been good, with Dana stating he's had 7 years of service on his.
    Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    We should be measuring mileage, not years.
    I put on up to 20,000kms per year on my car. I know this is more than some deloreans get in a decade.
    Good point. Most whole car warranties are X years or X thousand miles, but every part I bought for any other car was stated in X years.

That being said, I appreciated hearing the macro experience with this pump solution from the above quoted thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Marc, if you (or anyone else for that matter) are reliability issues with the pump that comes with the 107000, please let me know and I will help.

We've sold over 1500 of these units since 2012 and we've installed more of these than anyone else at our locations. If there are widespread failures of the pump itself, I *really* want to hear about it because we're not seeing it. Between 2014 and now, we have sold 14 replacement pumps (less than 1% of overall sales). Of the pumps/in-tank filter screens that we have been able to get back from customers who got replacements, all but two were due to debris in the fuel system causing pump failure. My supplier is very eager to see any failures, and we are, as well.

BTW, I'll be coming to the Spring Social in a few weeks, and I'm happy to talk with you about it there.
    Although I don't drive many miles, I do drive the car almost every weekend...all year, a benefit of Florida weather. The downside is long hot summers, and lots of traffic in Central Florida. So, I do clock engine running time, half of which is during hot weather.

During my time with my fuel pump, I have been reading about the pump issues, new style and old style, and to me mechanical empathy applies, whether you opt for the old style, the new module, or an appropriate GM pump:

1) Install it properly, in a clean environment. There was one poster that said that his similar GM pump lasted just a week or two in his Blazer because of contamination.

2) Try to mitigate our characteristic fuel heating problem. Several tactics are discussed on the forum. For me, I just put some thermal shielding on the flexible supply hose where it is adjacent to the hot coolant pipe and the exhaust manifold (near the fuel filter), and the fuel filter. Plus I try to keep a full tank as much as possible ( e.g. what's takes longer to heat on the stove... A small saucepan of water, or a big stock pot of water...same principle). These have worked so far with my situation.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I plan to install the DMC pump this month, I've spoken to a few owners that have had it a while and seem to be pretty happy.
    I dont think there is anything wrong with my current pump, but it was gotten loud when really hot.
    Last edited by Parzival; 04-30-2019 at 08:54 PM.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    I plan to install the DMC pump this month, I've spoken to a few owners that have had it a while and seem to be pretty happy.
    I dont think there is anything wrong with my current pump, but it was gotten loud when really hot.
    My OE style pump gave out on a long trip on a busy interstate. Totally worth changing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    My OE style pump gave out on a long trip on a busy interstate. Totally worth changing.
    Ok maybe I'm doing it this weekend! lol

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I thought your car was in pieces??
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I thought your car was in pieces??
    Yep. The oe style pump gave out when I was driving to see the eclipse in SC in 2017.

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Loud

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Yea, once they get loud, they aren't long for this world.

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Advice

So I have the original setup currently, and the car is in storage in NM. I ordered the new DMC setup and expect it this week.
    The worry is, I plan to drive the car x country to SC. Should I stay old school( a system I know could fail but I can fix on the fly) OR should I install the new setup and hope she makes it the whole way? Hmmm

I'd go with new. Replacing the pump on an integrated system really isn't hard. Ive done it on my accord.

The oe style one I had was installed by dmcmw in 2015 and lasted 2 years. From what I was told, it seemed like hot fuel was a common killer for the oe style pump. You might be able to fix it on the go but just run into problems again anyways.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

I have had mine for about a year and probably 3000 miles on it and I think it works great. Granted the fuel gauge doesn’t exactly register at 100% full it’s just under the full mark but it’s much more accurate than the original sending unit. As other people probably have mentioned I would highly recommend not using the rubber fuel lines that come with the kit and using a nylon fuel line instead so you don’t have the shrink problem at the rubber lines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast