FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 81 Manual For Sale

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

81 Manual For Sale

I've owned my car since 2006 and have enjoyed it. That said, we are building a house out in Hill Country NW of San Antonio and I'm going to be pretty busy with a new house and all that goes along with landscaping and taking care of 6.5 acres. I'm seriously considering selling my Delorean and letting someone else enjoy it rather than just have it sit. My son might not be too happy about it, but the wife has never enjoyed how low to the ground it sits. I haven't listed on any sites since I'm not 100% sure I want to let it go. We are going on vacation in May so I'll think more on it. If I do sell it, it would be my preference to have it go to someone through this community rather than to just a 'drive by', of which I seem to get plenty...

It's a 1981, gas flap, grooved hood, power antennae in driver's side rear pontoon car.
    • Total EFI conversion; fuel and spark all controlled by Megasquirt. Bluetooth or wired for tuning. Runs great. Laptop/tablet tuning - not needed for driving. IE: No more K-jet. No carburetor. All EFI electronics located behind driver's seat with one wire harness from fuse area to feed it. Clean. Documented.
    • LT1 throttle body on top of Peugeot intake manifold. Custom aluminum welding for fuel injector bungs and intake adapter.
    • 5 speed manual, secondary shaft in transmission properly affixed.
    • Black seats, gray carpets.
    • Custom made lower control arm braces improve handling.
    • Momo-style steering wheel with custom walnut center and DMC logo.
    • Cold air intake from passenger pontoon, K&N filter.
    • Custom exhaust; dual straight back 2" pipes, in-line cats, Thrush mufflers (pair of Flowmasters too). SS tips.
    • All new carpeting and rear vertical wooden board behind seats.
    • Ground bus from front of car to battery.
    • Wings aloft system & alarm, joystick added in old rheostat position to lock/unlock, pop each door.
    • Blue LED lighting for rear parcel shelf, user selectable colored LEDs for binnacle and footwells. Blue LED in door handle recesses.
    • Recently rebuilt steering rack.
    • Hi-Low horns added with dedicated power.
    • Roof box just refurbished. Surface rust removed, converted and sealed with POR-15 from inside. Outside coated in Flex seal. Additional screws added to prevent roof box lift. Doors properly aligned. New struts. New door seals.
    • Window tinting.
    • Toby radiator fans.
    • Door lock modules replaced with light weight ones.
    • New DMCH fuel pump/sender assembly. New hoses to hard lines.
    • Lifetime Autozone alternator.
    • R-12 air conditioning had Schrader valves replaced and now doesn't leak. Cold.
    • Tires like new.
    • Alpine head unit, amp mounted on back wall, JL subwoofer in cubby.
    • Clunky armrest switches replaced with modern paddle switches.
    • Wiring throughout has been extensively upgraded/removed. Documented. New single bulkhead connector to all engine compartment connections.
    • Dave M.'s fan fail module (newest) & climate control panel.
    • I've probably forgotten a bunch of other stuff............about 73,500 on the odometer.
    • Only body issue is a dent in the lower portion of the driver's door. Only really visible with door open.
    • Drives great. And well, it's a Delorean!
    • No pictures now because I'm still not certain.... tons when I am.

I haven't really thought about a price yet, but given the condition, the upgrades and what not, it's got to be worth ~$40K I'd say. I welcome suggestions/feedback.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree about having it go to an enthusiast involved in the community. Any operational issues with the EFI setup? This can be an unsettling topic for many as they would not want to tackle any running problems since they are not aware of the details. Any repair history/rust issues with the frame?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Generally speaking, I do not think the Megasquirt setup will add value to the car. perhaps even negatively impact the value.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I hear you about the Megasquirt and it may indeed deter the meek. I'm perfectly OK with that. I learned it all myself from scratch, built it, installed it and tuned it to the point where it is performing beautifully. Any deterioration of tune is a result of something mechanical (O2 sensor, injectors, temp sensor....) just like in a stock setup. EFI systems have the benefit of providing tons of data to analyze if you wish and to improve things without having to guess. No more hot start issues, stuck WURs, bad frequency valves, high pressure fuel sitting in 40 year old fuel lines or having to rely on DMCH for spare parts.

The difficult part has been done, documented and the install is super clean. Unnecessary relays, wiring, ECUs, frequency valves, warm up regulators, fuel distributors, etc.. have all been removed, considerably simplifying the car's systems. All updated on my electrical schematics. There are more people able to tune a Megasquirt setup in this world by now then there are people to diagnosis and fix the ever increasing K-Jet problems I would dare say.

Frame is just fine as far as I can tell. I have a lift and I use it..... The TABs get regularly checked, any areas showing epoxy crack or peel get cleaned up and POR15'd to seal them up.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    [*]Momo-style steering wheel with custom walnut center and DMC logo.
    I would like to see photos of said steering wheel.

Well, after a nice vacation and time to reflect, I've concluded the time is right to let the Delorean go. While I very much enjoy tinkering with and driving it, the wife has never been comfortable getting in and out of such a low car. Add in the upcoming time commitments of building/landscaping the new house and the logistics of moving both the Delorean as well as our 5th wheel and the decision becomes easier. No guarantees I won't buy another one in the future.......

I took a BUNCH of pictures. They should be self explanatory to people who know what they are looking at. Remember, I'm offering the car here first because I know I'm among people who would take care of it and who know what to look for. The first post lists the multitude of features. When looking at the pictures, note the following:

• Driver side door dent is visible. I've been told a dentless repair place could fix it but I've never been worried enough about it to do it.
    • The passenger seat is starting to split at the shoulder.
    • I have the original (no plexiglass) engine cover that conveys with car, as does a set of chopped louvers.
    • The SS bars mounted on either side of the louvers are 100% removable; the screw holes are covered by weatherstripping.
    • Foot well and dash LEDs are color selectable, rear deck and door handles are blue only.
    • Minor curb rash on driver side wheel rim. Easily sand out I believe.
    • Dark color on frame parts is POR15 paint that seals in any surface rust. A great product by the way.....
    • Manual, workshop manual, Megasquirt documentation and various spare parts all convey.
    • Updated electrical schematics.
    • It was hot and sticky as hell in Houston today (see phone pic) and see the resulting AC vent. ~35** delta. This was at idle, not even cruising.
    • Runs better than ever.
    • In the spirit of full disclosure, the carpets and rear wood board were replaced in this car because it got wet from the Harvey flood. There was no visible standing water in the cockpit but the carpets got wet from the water rising under the car and getting in through holes in the fiberglass body. It was immediately stripped of its carpet and old underlayment and dried out in 1 day. No electrics were even remotely close to getting wet. I replaced the rear wood board out of precaution in case it soaked up any water and were to swell. Upon inspection of it, it had not absorbed any water as far as I could tell. Oh well... my new one fits better! The brake calipers were rebuilt and brake fluid changed. The water did not reach any engine components, even the oil pan.

Please PM if you have an interest. Not looking to start a carb/Kjet/Megasquirt debate in this thread.

This link should lead you to my public Dropbox directory where there are 75 pictures of every aspect of the car, along with notes on each picture: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkgnnmh9b...s-CV7I_Fa?dl=0 Please let me know if for some reason the link isn't working.....

After considerably searching of the internet for other Deloreans for sale, I am confident that mine is a $40K car and therefore that's going to be my price.

Thanks.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Spittybug; 06-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Broadening exposure

Well, I've given this group the preview and haven't heard much interest, so I plan on listing in some national publications. Maybe Hemmings or Bringatrailer.com. Other suggestions?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Auto Trader classics.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Auto Trader classics.
    I got a LOT of spam texts/calls when I listed my Mercedes SL there recently... but on the upside I did sell the car in 1 month flat during the middle of winter.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Other suggestions?
    Replace the steering wheel center pad.
    Remove the "handling by Lotus" badge.
    Reinstall the OEM cigar lighter.
    Reinstall the OEM console switches.
    Get the PDR guy to fix the dent in the door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast