FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: LED Headlights

  1. #71
    Senior Member nkemp's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Buffalo MN

    Posts:    717

    My VIN:    897 5 spd,

    They both have the same number on the lower left of the glass. So they may be the same. It is not unusual to see the same thing with multiple prices on Amazon.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

  2. #72
    Member gluaisrothaii's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2019

    Posts:    91

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Does anybody know the difference between these Hella units?

    HELLA 003177862
    https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0031778.../dp/B0002M9QQU


    HELLA 003177001
    https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0031770.../dp/B000VU4X7U
    Amazon's fine print says that the 77001 part is legal in Canada, and the 77862 is SAE/DOT compliant. And I've just discovered that I purchased the Canadian spec lamps....but they work fine. Differences outlined here. The ECE headlamps have stricter control of glare on low beam (good) and allow brighter high beams (good).
    Last edited by gluaisrothaii; 05-13-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

  3. #73
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,190

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Amazon's fine print says that the 77001 part is legal in Canada, and the 77862 is SAE/DOT compliant. And I've just discovered that I purchased the Canadian spec lamps....but they work fine. Differences outlined here. The ECE headlamps have stricter control of glare on low beam (good) and allow brighter high beams (good).
    I'll second the E-code lamps over the SAE/DOT version. US spec lamps have more of a scatter beam pattern for illuminating the sides of the roadway so if you upgrade bulb brightness it just makes more glare for oncoming drivers.

    The ECE version has a cleaner cutoff that is easier to aim and has the benefit of being able to run a brighter bulb without having it blind other drivers as long as they are aimed properly. I've upgraded the 7" round headlights on my jeep from sealed beams to H4 bulbs with SAE housings and then to E-code housings and each step was a noticeable improvement.

  4. #74
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    7,943

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Amazon's fine print says that the 77001 part is legal in Canada, and the 77862 is SAE/DOT compliant. And I've just discovered that I purchased the Canadian spec lamps....but they work fine. Differences outlined here. The ECE headlamps have stricter control of glare on low beam (good) and allow brighter high beams (good).
    Now that is good info. I did some pattern testing when I installed LEDs into the cheap housings and never was very happy with the pattern. But I was comparing it to my 2018 Camry which has really good flat pattern LEDs.

    I may buy one of the Hella housings and do some more testing.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  5. #75
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,316

    My VIN:    16409

    So it sounds like E-code spec would be better for brighter LEDs. I like a more warm white look, so I want a bulb in the 5000 Kelvin temp range. What do you thing of these?

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QSVLF1J
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

  6. #76
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    7,943

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    So it sounds like E-code spec would be better for brighter LEDs. I like a more warm white look, so I want a bulb in the 5000 Kelvin temp range. What do you thing of these?

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QSVLF1J
    I bought a pair of 4 sided LEDs and they did not give me anything near a normal pattern. It was more like a spot light but that was with that cheaper housing. I do plan to test those 4 sided ones on the Hella housing. I do like the 4 sided unit because the power unit was the best of all the LEDs I tried. That power unit stayed cool (best efficancy) and the other two LED types I got their unit runs hot.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  7. #77
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,425

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Amazon's fine print says that the 77001 part is legal in Canada, and the 77862 is SAE/DOT compliant. And I've just discovered that I purchased the Canadian spec lamps....but they work fine. Differences outlined here. The ECE headlamps have stricter control of glare on low beam (good) and allow brighter high beams (good).
    FWIW- We put four 003177862 on a dune buggy and they were listed as: Right Lane Driving, Off Road, No Bulb Included.
    (Doesn't make sense!)

  8. #78
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    7,943

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I bought a pair of 4 sided LEDs and they did not give me anything near a normal pattern. It was more like a spot light but that was with that cheaper housing. I do plan to test those 4 sided ones on the Hella housing. I do like the 4 sided unit because the power unit was the best of all the LEDs I tried. That power unit stayed cool (best efficancy) and the other two LED types I got their unit runs hot.
    I got one of those Canada Hella housing and tested it with my 4 sided LEDs and it still looks like a spot light. I don't have an extra "cheap" housing or I would set up something to give a better test of the two.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  9. #79
    Member gluaisrothaii's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2019

    Posts:    91

    Beam patterns

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I got one of those Canada Hella housing and tested it with my 4 sided LEDs and it still looks like a spot light. I don't have an extra "cheap" housing or I would set up something to give a better test of the two.
    Little bit close to get the full perspective but you can see the clear cutoff on low. I'm using these LED headlights.

    Low



    High

    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

  10. #80
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,316

    My VIN:    16409

    I got two HELLA 003177001 H4 enclosures. Side note mine say “Made in Romania”, so I don’t know how common the German made ones are. A buddy is letting me try a set of VLED 5000 kelvin bulbs. It’s hard to find a variety of the “warmer” temp bulb. As I have a fiberglass fascia I’ve been dreading doing this conversion. However to my surprise I got very lucky. I document that in my original thread about getting the fascia.

    VLED Bulbs
    https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...ro-evo-h4.html

    Fiberglass Fascia Thread:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?44...l=1#post257038

    DC453584-7274-4521-904E-591293FDE7D7.jpg

    19CBB48A-6F5A-4E40-84BD-83B77E34F7D0.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 05-18-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •