FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Headlights

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Yea the cosmetic aspect is something to think about. The TruckLite headlights keep somewhat of a standard sealed beam look and may even blend with the black grille. Too bad there isnt a chrome/lighter color housing offered at this time.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...&storeId=10001
    I've seen those black Truck-lites on a few of our trucks and they have a really sinister look to them. This one truck was a two-tone cranberry red w/ black and had all the typical chrome parts blacked out coated in line-x (grille, bumper, fender arches, etc) and it was a really unique looking truck.

Not sure how these lights would look on a DeLorean, but it would probably fit in with something like this: (pretty sure this is a photoshop, but you get what I mean)
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-30-2019 at 04:08 PM.

My VIN:    4322

So there's a lot of LED options around now. One thing to watch out for is the depth of the housing, as some of the LED headlights are bulky and won't fit the original buckets without cutting holes.

The set I have aren't super expensive, and just fit into the buckets. I don't do a lot of night driving, but I've had them for over a year and the are still putting out just as much light and have not fogged up.

Unfortunately the projector LEDs are never going to look stock! But if you can avoid modifications to the wiring harness or buckets, they're easy enough to remove if you want to go back to stock.

My VIN:    16409

One thing to keep in mind is the DeLorean wiring is for standard H4656 sealed beams. Most of the new LED headlight bulbs are of the H4 variety and require a pin swap on the wiring harness. My buddy Dave just installed some H4 LED bulbs without doing the wiring mod, and found out the high beam "element" on the bulb was active on the low beam setting. When he switch the "high beams" on, the low beam "element" on the LED turned on. I found this graphic that documents the wiring mod.

SC2Oh.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 05-17-2019 at 02:08 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the DeLorean wiring is for standard H4656 sealed beams. Most of the new LED headlight bulbs are of the H4 variety and require a pin swap on the wiring harness. My buddy Dave just installed some H4 LED bulbs without doing the wiring mod, and found out the high beam "element" on the bulb was active on the low beam setting. When he switch the "high beams" on, the low beam "element" on the LED turned on. I found this graphic that documents the wiring mod.

SC2Oh.jpg
    I just looked at my passenger side "low beam" socket and the black ground wire is not wired in the "center" pin like it shows in your diagram. I wonder if someone changed mine but I've been running silver stars as it's wired.

I just bought some H4 LEDs and housings. So with low beams I guess the outer bulbs use one element and the inner high beam bulbs are off. Then with high beams the outer bulb switches to the other element and the inner bulb also turns on.

So if I put in dual high low LEDs are you using all 8 LEDs on high beam and low beams using 4 LEDs?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I just looked at my passenger side "low beam" socket and the black ground wire is not wired in the "center" pin like it shows in your diagram. I wonder if someone changed mine but I've been running silver stars as it's wired.

I just bought some H4 LEDs and housings. So with low beams I guess the outer bulbs use one element and the inner high beam bulbs are off. Then with high beams the outer bulb switches to the other element and the inner bulb also turns on.

So if I put in dual high low LEDs are you using all 8 LEDs on high beam and low beams using 4 LEDs?
    Now that i think about it, i also dont think my original wiring matched that diagram either. just test them before screwing them in.

Here is the back side of my socket which looks like every pin is wrong. My LEDs did not state which pins are which and I don't want to have the ground on the wrong pin. I may just change all the sockets anyway since the pins look pretty bad and I'm sure the plastic connector is pretty bridal.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Oxilam LEDs

I bought some inexpensive H4 LEDs

Spec.
    Power 26 watt
    DC 12-24 volt
    6000 K

Oxilam DD-M2-H4-OUS

Low beam power
    12.0 volts = 1.694 amp
    12.5 volts = 1.620 amp
    13.0 volts = 1.552 amp
    13.5 volts = 1.490 amp
    14.0 volts = 1.433 amp

High beam looks like the same current so it probably uses the same power supply in the unit. This has a fan on the rear but even with that fan you can not touch the aluminum fins because it really gets hot. So with that in mind, I would not recomend you run both high and low beams at the same time since it would really stress that power supply.

I ordered new sockets and pins and plan to take photos of the light shining on my garage door with one old bulb and one new LED so I can judge if these cheap LEDs are any good.
    Dave M vin 03572

I tested my Silver star currents low beam.

12.0 volts = 2.512 amps
    12.5 volts = 2.568 amps
    13.0 volts = 2.618 amps
    13.5 volts = 2.673 amps
    14.0 volts = 2.723 amps

So the Silver Stars run 38 watts and my LEDs run 20 watts.

Note LEDs run a switching regulator so LED power it about 85% of input power due to the regulator inefficiency.

High beam (this powers both high and low beam elements) which are connected internally in the bulb.

14.0 volts = 4.857 amps.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 05-23-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

So now I think some of the LEDs would be wired so both high and low beams are on at the same time when high beam is powered. I would think you need one that shows a high power rating to get that.

You also have a choice of fan or no fan. I think the fan units are a little smaller so some no fan units may need the bucket hole enlarged.

Most are color rated at 6000 K but some have 6500, 7000 or even higher. I think the higher numbers would look more blue.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast