FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inspection

My VIN:    5757

Inspection

Hi everyone, I need to "affix" my front plate to the car to pass inspection (new shop, wasn't an issue for me before). I plan to momentarily tape the plate to the front bumper. Would packing tape be damaging to the urethane bumpers? What would you guys recommend as a quick, harmless remedy? Thanks.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I thought MA didn't require a front plate?
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I thought MA didn't require a front plate?
    They do but it's not enforced on the street.

Did they specify they'd pass you with a plate taped to the front? I only ask so you don't waste time. I know in NY, at least where I was, they wouldn't pass you unless the plate was fastened to the car. Before I left it was hell compared to years earlier. They'd rather have you come back than face some violations for letting it slide. That said, if you're not sure, maybe you can use a few tie wraps on the plate to the rock screen and just cut it off afterwards? Otherwise, I'm not sure what clear tape would be good on the bumpers, maybe some quiet packing tape as it seems to release much easier than normal tape. I'm sure others can chime in on it.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

You should be able to use light or medium duty VHB mounting tape for something like this. It won't leave any residue when removed. Just don't go too crazy putting a big long strip or it may be difficult to remove. A couple of small squares should do the job.

Here's some generic light duty temporary stuff on Amazon, or your local big box hardware store should carry 3M brand. A little goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-...2-6bad5225355a

Hopefully the guy inspecting your car doesn't notice that there are no fasteners holding on the plate. You may want to put some screws through the plate with a nut on the outside to make it look more legit.

Luckily here in WI we don't have inspections so I'd have to get pulled over and get a fix-it ticket before I'd have to worry about running a front plate.

Your other option would be to buy one of these...it's a mounting bracket that attaches to the rock screen bolts instead of drilling into the fascia. If this is more than a one time inspection it might be worth spending the 40 bucks to have on hand.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...acket-kit.html
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks. I just used plain old packing tape and that seemed to be safe. It's a ridiculous law.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Here in New Jersey they want to see it mechanically attached. Tape, velcro, double-sided tape, even wire is not acceptable. In fact, they changed the rules. I just had another car inspected and I failed. Never mind why, it doesn't matter. Used to be they would fail you, remove your sticker and slap a red one on that was good for 2 weeks. Now they put a rejected one above your sticker and tell you you can get a ticket once you leave the station. No grace period, no time to get anything fixed. The inspector said it is up to the discretion of the Officer that pulls you over so you had better have a good story. Another way the State can reach into your pocket for more money! Used to be you could just put the front plate on your dash, no more. With plate readers they want it where they can see it so they can read it and if they "get a hit" on your plate they pull you over. And once they "get a hit" the printer in the Police car automatically prints a ticket. That way the Officer has no discretion on most tickets so the State gets MORE money! Little wonder New Jersey is the State the most people move out of now ahead of NY and CA. My advice is to get the S/S bracket and put the front plate on unless you already have holes in your front bumper.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Here in New Jersey they want to see it mechanically attached. Tape, velcro, double-sided tape, even wire is not acceptable. In fact, they changed the rules. I just had another car inspected and I failed. Never mind why, it doesn't matter. Used to be they would fail you, remove your sticker and slap a red one on that was good for 2 weeks. Now they put a rejected one above your sticker and tell you you can get a ticket once you leave the station. No grace period, no time to get anything fixed. The inspector said it is up to the discretion of the Officer that pulls you over so you had better have a good story. Another way the State can reach into your pocket for more money! Used to be you could just put the front plate on your dash, no more. With plate readers they want it where they can see it so they can read it and if they "get a hit" on your plate they pull you over. And once they "get a hit" the printer in the Police car automatically prints a ticket. That way the Officer has no discretion on most tickets so the State gets MORE money! Little wonder New Jersey is the State the most people move out of now ahead of NY and CA. My advice is to get the S/S bracket and put the front plate on unless you already have holes in your front bumper.
    They'd better get my cell ready, because I am NEVER putting a front plate on my DeLorean.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

How about zip tie it to the rock screen?
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    How about zip tie it to the rock screen?
    I had suggested this earlier. I did this to pass a New York inspection once and they passed me no problem.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast