FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New fuel pump

My VIN:    15275

yes

the pump came with a check valve.. I am going to swap the old one back on .. but have to wait till mon as I left it at work.. that would be the only thing that would have changed is the check valve on the pump...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

How old are the PPR O-rings? They are cheap and easy to swap out, so I would try that first (especially if the current age is unknown). Assuming the check valve is confirmed good at the pump, then I would guess the accumulator would be the next culprit. They should last longer then 10 years unless you got an NOS one.

hi

the ppr orings are relatively newer. maybe 5 yrs or so.. I took them out this morn and they look perfect still.. not flat or anything.. car still does it after sitting an hour.. I will change the check valve back to the old one next week... the accumulator is probably 10 yr.s….

My VIN:    16409

Just to confirm, you installed a new OEM style fuel pump?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

hi

yes.. problem is fixed I think.. I changed the check valve back to the old one... the one that came with the pump I could blow thru both ways and I noticed that the spring inside it was much thinner guage than the old one.. so im thinking this fixed the issue.. will go out soon and see if it fires right up after sitting for an hour and being hot..

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you want to buy a new one, here is the external check valve I have:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...5394&catid=945

It works great.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

i spoke too soon..

it still wont start when its hot even after putting the old check valve back in.. any other suggestions?? thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    it still wont start when its hot even after putting the old check valve back in.. any other suggestions?? thanks...
    In that case, I would test your fuel accumulator:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...mulator-is-bad

If it checks out, then I would change the PPR O-rings...they are cheap enough to refresh them. Mine visually looked fine, but after changing them out anyway, that solved my hot start problems when I was restoring the car.

My path was: Brass check valve + new original size accumulator + new PPR o-rings = no hot start problems. Along the way the problem diminished, but went away completely after doing these 3 things.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

thanks...

where did you buy your accumulator from?? I see all different ones .. hervey has one.. DeLorean go has one.. dmch has one etc....

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    where did you buy your accumulator from?? I see all different ones .. hervey has one.. DeLorean go has one.. dmch has one etc....
    At the time (2016), I got the original size Bosch accumulator (part number 0438170029 ) from Summit Racing. Apparently the smaller ones do the job, but I opted to get the full size one.
    Dana

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast