FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early DMC-12, Need windshield style antenna shaft..what does everybody use?

Early DMC-12, Need windshield style antenna shaft..what does everybody use?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this Forum, and I'm looking forward to learning and sharing. My son & his wife just bought an early build 1981 DeLorean with low miles. It has the original (1st rendition) style antenna on the windshield, with original windshield. The base unit is there but the actual antenna shaft is missing. According to DMC (Texas) this part is not available.

I tried using one of the antennas off my 2015 MINI and it screwed right into place, so I know what the thread pattern is, but using a MINI antenna won't work as it's too fat at the base, and it would be more original/vintage looking with a silver antenna anyway. I wouldn't think this antenna is very long in stock length right?

What does everyone use who has replaced their old damaged or missing antenna? Anyone care to share a photo of what it's suppose to look like?

We installed new gas shocks on the hood, the doors, and engine cover last weekend, so we are tackling one thing at a time.

We love the car!

Thanks,

John

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this Forum, and I'm looking forward to learning and sharing. My son & his wife just bought an early build 1981 DeLorean with low miles. It has the original (1st rendition) style antenna on the windshield, with original windshield. The base unit is there but the actual antenna shaft is missing. According to DMC (Texas) this part is not available.

I tried using one of the antennas off my 2015 MINI and it screwed right into place, so I know what the thread pattern is, but using a MINI antenna won't work as it's too fat at the base, and it would be more original/vintage looking with a silver antenna anyway. I wouldn't think this antenna is very long in stock length right?

What does everyone use who has replaced their old damaged or missing antenna? Anyone care to share a photo of what it's suppose to look like?

We installed new gas shocks on the hood, the doors, and engine cover last weekend, so we are tackling one thing at a time.

We love the car!

Thanks,

John
    Welcome John, and congrats to your son and his wife on the car. I have an early build car as well. Does their car have the antenna embedded in the windshield or a mast on the passenger fender ( or both)?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are three iterations of the radio antennae. The earliest is the windscreen one followed by the fender mounted one. The final version is a power antennae mounted in the left/rear pontoon rising up through the plastic grill. If you want an AM/FM antennae, most owners wind up installing the power antennae. When you turn on the radio the mast goes up and when you turn the radio off or shut off the car the antennae goes down. You can leave the base in the fender, you can buy a S/S plug that snaps in to fill the hole or you can have the hole welded up. Or, you can just go with a satellite antennae or use your cell phone if you modify or replace the radio. As far as I know the masts for the fixed antennae in the front fender are NLA for a long time. Since you just got the car you should flush all of the fluids and change all of the filters unless you know the last time it was done, with what and by who. Check the date codes on the tires and if they are over 7 years old figure on replacing them. Check that all of the recalls have been done. Replace the wiper blades.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Welcome John, and congrats to your son and his wife on the car. I have an early build car as well. Does their car have the antenna embedded in the windshield or a mast on the passenger fender ( or both)?
    Yes, and I’ve researched all the styles of antennas. This early car has the original style. I don’t think my son cares if the radio works but he wants the antenna to be installed for originality. I personally don’t care for the fender mount, but the rear mounted hidden antenna is cool!

Right now we just need an original style antenna that screws into the base mount on the windshield.

Yes, and I’ve researched all the styles of antennas. This early car has the original style. I don’t think my son cares if the radio works but he wants the antenna to be installed for originality. I personally don’t care for the fender mount, but the rear mounted hidden antenna is cool!

Right now we just need an original style antenna that screws into the base mount on the windshield.
    Ok, great. I guess I'm confused by this need. I'm not aware of an original antenna that screws into a base on the windshield.
    Mine is completely embedded in the windshield with no screw-in mast. Perhaps it was an option or aftermarket addition.

Can you post a picture of it?
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-08-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Ok, great. I guess I'm confused by this need. I'm not aware of an original antenna that screws into a base on the windshield.
    Mine is completely embedded in the windshield with no screw-in mast. Perhaps it was an option or aftermarket addition.

Can you post a picture of it?
    Oh boy, this is getting interesting...if the stick-on antenna is aftermarket then we will just have to fare for ourselves. I will post a pic when I can. I’m assuming it’s too hard to remove it but it doesn’t look bad.

Yes, and I’ve researched all the styles of antennas.....Right now we just need an original style antenna that screws into the base mount on the windshield.
    What part of your research lead you to believe that a windshield mounted antenna that screws into a base was the “original style”?

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    What part of your research lead you to believe that a windshield mounted antenna that screws into a base was the “original style”?
    I was assuming what is on the windshield was part of the internal windshield wiring....I had read about the poor reception quality in some cases so I assumed it was a fix or just part of the system. This car was only owned by two owners, the second owner bought it from the original owner in 1985, so it having been messed with is not likely but who knows what the first owner did? If it was added, that’s fine as it really is barely noticeable anyway and it will actually look quite nice imo if we can find an antenna that fits. If it is an add on, it’s the only non-stock part on this car!

We’ll figure it out...just glad the antenna isn’t mounted on the right fender! We are learning & I appreciate the help. I suppose those owners with this initial antenna wires in the windshield design either don’t use their radios or they have implemented a fix as well.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the antennae is not mounted on the R/F fender it very likely it is NOT a DMC antennae. If that is so, even if you could get the "proper" mast, it probably won't fit. There were so many complaints about the poor reception from the windscreen antennae that very early on (in fact one of the early ST's) ST-07-7/81 was issued and there was a DMC part # for the fender mounted antennae. The windscreen antennae is horizontal. The radio signals are vertically polarized so a horizontal antennae is very inefficient. Add to that the old analog radio with low sensitivity and you didn't get a good enough signal. That is why DMC went back to the vertical fender or power antennas. Back in the 80's car washes had so many damage claims from broken antennas, it was thought that going to an embedded antennae in the windscreen was the solution. If the windscreen antennae is NOT embedded in the glass, rather it is stuck onto the inner surface, that is not original either. Back in the day you could buy an antennae that you stuck onto your windshield with clear tape. It was a very fine wire glued to the clear tape and rolled up. You would stick it onto the glass and, with the cable attached at one end connect it to the radio. The big selling point was that it was vandal proof and would not get damaged in a car wash. I would remove it (if it is taped to the glass) and abandon the fender antennae since it is not original if it isn't in the R/F fender. If the antennae IS embedded in the glass, be REALLY careful with that glass. The windscreens with the embedded antennae are also NLA (No Longer Available) and are very sought after and valuable to some "purists". If you have a very early car it is supposed to have the windscreen antennae along with the grooved hood and gas flap among other things. If you are in a big city and near radio stations the windscreen antennae could be OK so maybe you could hook that back up and forget about the fender mounted antennae base.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the antennae is not mounted on the R/F fender it very likely it is NOT a DMC antennae. If that is so, even if you could get the "proper" mast, it probably won't fit. There were so many complaints about the poor reception from the windscreen antennae that very early on (in fact one of the early ST's) ST-07-7/81 was issued and there was a DMC part # for the fender mounted antennae. The windscreen antennae is horizontal. The radio signals are vertically polarized so a horizontal antennae is very inefficient. Add to that the old analog radio with low sensitivity and you didn't get a good enough signal. That is why DMC went back to the vertical fender or power antennas. Back in the 80's car washes had so many damage claims from broken antennas, it was thought that going to an embedded antennae in the windscreen was the solution. If the windscreen antennae is NOT embedded in the glass, rather it is stuck onto the inner surface, that is not original either. Back in the day you could buy an antennae that you stuck onto your windshield with clear tape. It was a very fine wire glued to the clear tape and rolled up. You would stick it onto the glass and, with the cable attached at one end connect it to the radio. The big selling point was that it was vandal proof and would not get damaged in a car wash. I would remove it (if it is taped to the glass) and abandon the fender antennae since it is not original if it isn't in the R/F fender. If the antennae IS embedded in the glass, be REALLY careful with that glass. The windscreens with the embedded antennae are also NLA (No Longer Available) and are very sought after and valuable to some "purists". If you have a very early car it is supposed to have the windscreen antennae along with the grooved hood and gas flap among other things. If you are in a big city and near radio stations the windscreen antennae could be OK so maybe you could hook that back up and forget about the fender mounted antennae base.
    Actually, the windshield with embedded antenna IS available for the event that your windshield gets damaged.
    http://store.delorean.com/p-9751-win...-wantenna.aspx
    I have seen one at DMCFL and because they were reproduced the reception is improved.

People who don't have the improved windshield can boost the reception with either an under-dash booster, or installing the rear automatic antenna.
    Dana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast