FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Go Exterior LED kit What do you think?

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

DeLorean Go Exterior LED kit What do you think?

I saw this on Facebook. I've ordered a couple of things from them and liked what I got. Has anyone tried these? What did you think?
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/exterior-led-kit.html/
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    6125

My only concern would be the white LED's for the tail lights/brake lights instead of red.

Since white LED's output light in a few distinct wavelengths you can end up with a pinkish hue. The website said they did some testing, and the white LED's were better than the reds but I'd want to see some actual photos. This screen grab is from another website that discusses matching the LED color to the lens color:

I suppose if you had a white LED that was much brighter than a comparable red, you could get the same amount of red light (or more) passing through the lens.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-10-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree with Mark. Whatever the lens color is - utilize the same color bulb. Unless of of course its a clear lens.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

I went with both the Exterior (with taillight boards) and Interior LED kits offered by DMC and am happy with them. I primarily did this because one taillight was flakey, and I wanted to leave my doors open at shows without battery drain. Mind you, these kits do not cover the headlights, instrument cluster, glove box, or AC panel bulbs. I plan to order the AC panel LED bulbs from DeLoreanGo though. The AC panel is a good idea because the bulbs are always on when the car is on and can get very hot. I am not convinced yet to do the instrument cluster as you lose the dimmer function (plus labor intensive). Plus, everything is still working there. I also haven't found any LED headlights I really like. Keep in mind too that you will need an LED compatable blinker relay (sold by DMC and DeLoreanGo), as well as an aftermarket relay for the dimming function of the dome light (not sold by DeLoreanGo or DMC). I removed the latter relay, so I no longer have the dome light dimmer when the doors close. The light just goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    I went with both the Exterior (with taillight boards) and Interior LED kits offered by DMC and am happy with them. I primarily did this because one taillight was flakey, and I wanted to leave my doors open at shows without battery drain. Mind you, these kits do not cover the headlights, instrument cluster, glove box, or AC panel bulbs. I plan to order the AC panel LED bulbs from DeLoreanGo though. The AC panel is a good idea because the bulbs are always on when the car is on and can get very hot. I am not convinced yet to do the instrument cluster as you lose the dimmer function (plus labor intensive). Plus, everything is still working there. I also haven't found any LED headlights I really like. Keep in mind too that you will need an LED compatable blinker relay (sold by DMC and DeLoreanGo), as well as an aftermarket relay for the dimming function of the dome light (not sold by DeLoreanGo or DMC). I removed the latter relay, so I no longer have the dome light dimmer when the doors close. The light just goes off.
    Check out these LED headlights: https://upcarparts.com/lighting-head...-x-6-headlight
    Closet to OEM look that is COMPLETE - not a glass housing with H4 bulbs.

superbrightleds.com bulbs I have used are dimmable, or you can get lower lumen bulbs for the instrument cluster.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Check out these LED headlights: https://upcarparts.com/lighting-head...-x-6-headlight
    Closet to OEM look that is COMPLETE - not a glass housing with H4 bulbs.

superbrightleds.com bulbs I have used are dimmable, or you can get lower lumen bulbs for the instrument cluster.
    I would defiantly want a glass face. We all know how today's headlights turn yellow with age (about 5 years). Those also have no specification on lumens or the color of the light.

I ordered the glass housings and plan to decide which H4 LEDs to install when I get time. There are a lot of H4 LEDs to choose from now.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    The AC panel is a good idea because the bulbs are always on when the car is on and can get very hot.
    There is a very easy mod to change the logic of these bulbs so that they are only on when the headlight switch has been activated. Well worth the 5 minutes it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    There is a very easy mod to change the logic of these bulbs so that they are only on when the headlight switch has been activated. Well worth the 5 minutes it takes.
    Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I ordered the glass housings and plan to decide which H4 LEDs to install when I get time. There are a lot of H4 LEDs to choose from now.
    This is true. I'm concerned about the quality and light output of a lot of the LED bulb headlights on the market. I've read online comparisons with HID and reviews of fan vs. no fan, etc... Let us know what you end up with and how they work.
    ~LXA~

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

-----Dan B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast