FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DIY fuel injection lines

My VIN:    2245

DIY fuel injection lines

I got a roll of nylon tubing to replace the fuel lines at the tank. I've been thinking we could also make the fuel injection lines ourselves for a fraction of the price the vendor's charge. I would use rubber or vinyl house to cover the nylon to help protect it. Has anyone here done this? would I need hose clamps on the barb or is the nylon strong enough to hold at fuel line pressures once it's been pressed on?

Cheaper maybe, but the fuel injection lines are only $225 and you're getting stainless steel braided lines.
    I say go for it if you wanna go through the exercise, but I'll take the SS ones.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    I've been thinking we could also make the fuel injection lines ourselves for a fraction of the price the vendor's charge.
    I do a lot of my own stuff but this is one area I wouldn't mess around with DIY. I know they're expensive but I'd spend the money on lines from a vendor, that have been designed, built and tested for this purpose.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    16409

Buy a set of Ed Udings. They are like $165

https://www.deloreango.com/us/black-...uel-lines.html
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    02530

If you can afford the car you can afford the lines. Honestly probably one of the most important updates you can do. Why cut corners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10270

My chief concern is how exposed they are in the engine compartment to heat and physical stresses during mechanical service. I caught myself on more than one occasion accidentally leaning on or levering against Kjet parts.

The working PSI of nylon tube is sufficient but that will drop at the connection to the fittings. I would only feel comfortable installing something like that as a system with certified ratings.

At the pump? That seems to be OK. Much less heat up there, fewer failure points, covered and protected from abrasion. I'm running nylon there myself and there are a few others, too. For me it's only up to about 50-55psi -vs- Kjet but at least one other owner is running nylon with an external check valve.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

More interested in facts and not feelings. If it is a viable alternative, I'll do it. If it's dangerous, I'll buy the lines. I really don't know enough about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    My chief concern is how exposed they are in the engine compartment to heat and physical stresses during mechanical service.
    This is also a concern of mine, I may have to do some testing.

My VIN:    10270

Here's my data. Some from experience, some from datasheets, and some feelings whether you want 'em or not

Right now I have 3 different types of 3/8 hoses on-hand and some leftover OEM fuel distributor hose which is likely a smaller diameter. Maybe 1/4 or the metric equiv?

OEM: PTFE w/ outer rubber sheath
    -Flexible, clearly high endurance, no issues with permeability. This stuff is probably better than credit given but years of wear and tear may take their toll.

Eaton PTFE w/ braided sheath -6AN (3/8) (Aeroquip FCC06xx), for use with reusable fittings
    -Super strong. Ethanol rated, no permeability. Not as flexible as OEM but surprisingly flexible given the outer braid and larger OD. Requires specific expensive fittings.
    -2,500 psi / 450 F
    I've built 2 EFI systems using the matching Eaton steel fittings to connect the engine to the filter/return. Reusable fittings are likely too large for anything attached to the fuel dist.
    This (or similar) hose using crimped-on connectors would be an upgrade from stock which is maybe what the vendors sell?
    I don't think any vendor specifies the inner core material but I suspect it's PTFE.
    Maybe they don't want to say PTFE due to the orange hoses of death being sold long ago.

Jegs/Summit/Etc "fuel rated, sort by: cheapest first" -6AN braided rubber hose
    -There is NFW that I'd put this on anything carrying fuel or oil. Sounds good on paper but other members had issues with this stuff turning into garden soaker hose. Maybe if I needed a coolant line in a pinch. May be too thick to use on the fuel dist even in smaller diameters.

Dorman / Ford 3/8" Nylon tubing:
    -Super cheap, easy to cut, easy to install fittings once you get the knack of it and build a fixture to hold the tube. Ethanol rated, no permeability.
    -Hard to find real high temp ratings. A similar product at Jegs gives 530 PSI at 70 F. Max is 212 F but working pressure at 212 F not specified.

Surprisingly this is probably the least flexible of the 3/8 hoses. Smaller OD should be better. 3/8 installs on recycled original feed and return fittings.
    212 F max rating is pretty close to engine operating temperature. On a cruising summer day I'll see manifold air temps 130-140 F at 70mph, so lots of airflow but that giant aluminum intake is a real stovetop. My MATs will be higher due to turbo, but even a short drive on a 50 degree day sees 100+ with gentle cruising. That's the coolant more than anything else.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Thanks for the info, I was planning on having rubber or vinyl tubing over the nylon line to protect it from abrasion but it might also be needed to protected it from making contact with the hot intake manifold. I hypothesize that the fuel will keep the nylon and fittings at a cooler temperature than the rest of the engine bay.

Anyone happen to know the fuel temperature at the injectors?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was planning on having rubber or vinyl tubing over the nylon line to protect it from abrasion but it might also be needed to protected it from making contact with the hot intake manifold. I hypothesize that the fuel will keep the nylon and fittings at a cooler temperature than the rest of the engine bay.

Anyone happen to know the fuel temperature at the injectors?
    My old fuel pump would start buzzing when the fuel hit 125 deg./F
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast