FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DIY fuel injection lines

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is a lot more than just cutting a hose to length and shoving a barbed fitting into a hose. If you don't get the exact correct fitting to use on that specific kind of hose the connection is of very dubious value. Some hose and fittings require a specific tool to hold everything just so to make a proper connection. There is a science to this. If you are really serious about this find a local hose shop like an Aeroquip dealer and get the right stuff. Shops like that will make the hoses up for you so you KNOW it is assembled with the right hose and fittings and done properly. Do that and then compare what it cost to what the vendor's kits cost. I am betting the vendor's kits are a better deal.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Something else to think about with respect to the comparison between the fuel pump/line hoses and the injector hoses. In the main fuel lines, the fuel flow is pretty significant, on the order of a gallon every few minutes since the system is recirculating. This holds the temperature of the hoses near the tank at not much over 120 degrees. (I'm sure Dave M has measured it but I don't recall the number!).

OTOH, the fuel in the individual injector lines is moving very slowly, i.e. only at the rate of consumption of each injector. So not so much cooling effect, therefore the temperature of the fuel in those lines, and the lines themselves, approaches the temperature right on top of the engine. This makes the composition of those lines even more important than the lines at the tank.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

you know what would be interesting to see?
    Has any one even routed the hard metal style injector lines that are sometimes used on K-jet systems?

My VIN:    2245

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    you know what would be interesting to see?
    Has any one even routed the hard metal style injector lines that are sometimes used on K-jet systems?
    I was thinking about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Something else to think about with respect to the comparison between the fuel pump/line hoses and the injector hoses. In the main fuel lines, the fuel flow is pretty significant, on the order of a gallon every few minutes since the system is recirculating. This holds the temperature of the hoses near the tank at not much over 120 degrees. (I'm sure Dave M has measured it but I don't recall the number!).
    I've been planning to install this, to cool returning fuel, in a duct bringing in cool air from in front of the radiator.
    fuelcooler.jpg

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

OTOH, the fuel in the individual injector lines is moving very slowly, i.e. only at the rate of consumption of each injector. So not so much cooling effect, therefore the temperature of the fuel in those lines, and the lines themselves, approaches the temperature right on top of the engine. This makes the composition of those lines even more important than the lines at the tank.
    I did measure with two therm o-couples the fuel temp leaving the tank and fuel temp returned to the tank. It was about 1 deg.F warmer on the return temps. So I concluded that most of the fuel heating was due to the returned fuel. I did have the hot air dam on my car and the tank temps would easily get to 125 deg.F and then my fuel pump would start making noise. I installed a fuel cooler on that return line and never heard the pump noise again.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I did measure with two therm o-couples the fuel temp leaving the tank and fuel temp returned to the tank. It was about 1 deg.F warmer on the return temps. So I concluded that most of the fuel heating was due to the returned fuel. I did have the hot air dam on my car and the tank temps would easily get to 125 deg.F and then my fuel pump would start making noise. I installed a fuel cooler on that return line and never heard the pump noise again.
    I remember seeing a picture of you cooler, what was the temperature after you installed it?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    I remember seeing a picture of you cooler, what was the temperature after you installed it?
    I never measured the temps after the install. You really need to to driving for the AC to work best (my AC accumulator cooled the return fuel). Since it cured my buzzing pump problem I was happy without further testing.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3