FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car getting worked on today

Car getting worked on today

Sorry for my absence, the car has been sitting a little as when I took her in for a good going over we found the seals between the eng and trans were leaking rather badly. I ordered a new set of "O" rings and seals from DMC Huston, the car is on the lift as we speak.

On a recent drive I think I notice the clutch seems 'weak", I'm wondering out loud here, how do you know if the clutch is in need of repair without taking things apart? I assume there is a feel that you go by.

Also, assuming the clutch does need to be replaced, any ball park figure on the cost?

Weather here in NJ has been horrid, rain in something like the past 20 out of 22 days, it's crazy.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The main symptom of a worn out clutch is when you are in gear and you step on the gas, the RPM's of the motor go up but you don't move any faster. Not sure what the cost of the parts is now. Figure 5-6 hours labor by someone not experienced on Deloreans. Before assuming a problem with the clutch itself you must make sure the hydraulic system is working right.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If you are replacing the rear main, and especially if you don't know the history, just replace the clutch and bearing. It's a no brainer.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you are replacing the rear main, and especially if you don't know the history, just replace the clutch and bearing. It's a no brainer.
    To add to that parts are >$300 and you're not adding any significant labor since the clutch was already removed for the rear main seal.

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post

On a recent drive I think I notice the clutch seems 'weak", I'm wondering out loud here, how do you know if the clutch is in need of repair without taking things apart? I assume there is a feel that you go by.

When going up a hill, put the car in a gear that's too high (4th, for example) and push the accelerator pedal to the floor. If the clutch is worn out, the RPMs will increase, but you won't pick up any speed.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

clutch might also feel "weak" if its getting sprayed with oil from a badly leaking RMS.

Mark

I guess it feels weak when it engages, but still feels strong when accelerating or going up hills in a too high of a gear. I'll monitor it and see if it gets a worse feeling. I have no info on when the clutch was last changed if it ever was, the car has less then 55K original miles so it may well be original.

I would not have a shop pull my transmission without replacing the clutch. They are already doing most of the work.
    It would be like having your AC evaporator replaced, and not replacing the heater core... Ask me how I know.

Turns out I didn't order all the parts that were needed to complete the job, my mechanic ordered what is needed and we're waiting for them to arrive.

Car is back on the road, gave her a good wash and a quick ride, put the cover on her and called it a night. I need to order caliber for the rear drivers side and she should be good to go, it sticks a little now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast