FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Mecum Indy 2019 - 3 cars

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Mecum Indy 2019 - 3 cars

For anyone not aware - Mecum Indy has 3 cars up for grabs including this one at no reserve: https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-36...lorean-dmc-12/

May 14-19
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    16355

Interesting

This is interesting, at one stage there was four, the one done 5k miles seems to have been withdrawn from sale. I have some interest in the first one on the block this Wednesday done 2,100 miles, VIN 17011. The photos are pretty crappy and I am waiting for better pics particularly some of the chassis. It is a deceased estate and the family do not know anything much about it. Without better pics I will not be bidding because as we all know, low miles does not mean a good chassis.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    This is interesting, at one stage there was four, the one done 5k miles seems to have been withdrawn from sale. I have some interest in the first one on the block this Wednesday done 2,100 miles, VIN 17011. The photos are pretty crappy and I am waiting for better pics particularly some of the chassis. It is a deceased estate and the family do not know anything much about it. Without better pics I will not be bidding because as we all know, low miles does not mean a good chassis.
    Wow, three cars! I hope you were able to get someone to inspect them. Will the Mecum staff take pictures if you don't have a local community member? I see that there is a "Need Assistance " button on the online bidder page.

I was fortunate enough to be a driver for Mecum Kissimmee in January. There was one DeLorean and it sold well. I'll tell you, to see ~3,500 collector cars for sale in one spot was awesome, and to drive some of the hardware across the auction block was like Christmas for a car guy. One of the cars I drove went to a phone bidder. Pretty cool. They are a first class operation.

Anyway, good luck bidding!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

The cars are part of a collection from a gentlemen from the Tampa area. Passed away due to cancer - RIP.
    Yes, low miles does not mean a good chassis.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Thank you Dana, they have sent me some better pics which I had James Espey take a look at. It is a very original car with a good frame but it needs all the usual work. If it went to DMC like my last one there would be $15 - $20k to spend to make it a show car. My gut feeling is that it will go for too much and I will be better to buy directly from DMC with no potential nasty surprises. They did have a very nice manual for $45k which has now sold. At the right money it is worth a poke at it which I will do tomorrow but with 7% Indiana Sales Tax plus 12% buyers premium the price can get away pretty quickly. I did ask if anyone was going to the auction but no one has replied. Fingers crossed but as we know there is always another opportunity just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Wow, three cars! I hope you were able to get someone to inspect them. Will the Mecum staff take pictures if you don't have a local community member? I see that there is a "Need Assistance " button on the online bidder page.

I was fortunate enough to be a driver for Mecum Kissimmee in January. There was one DeLorean and it sold well. I'll tell you, to see ~3,500 collector cars for sale in one spot was awesome, and to drive some of the hardware across the auction block was like Christmas for a car guy. One of the cars I drove went to a phone bidder. Pretty cool. They are a first class operation.

Anyway, good luck bidding!

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    If it went to DMC like my last one there would be $15 - $20k to spend to make it a show car. My gut feeling is that it will go for too much and I will be better to buy directly from DMC with no potential nasty surprises.
    Agreed.
    ~LXA~

Sold for $29k add 10 - 12% for the Buyers Premium plus another 7% Indiana State Sales Tax and you are at $34k plus shipping. This is better than the first time it sold at their Kansas City Auction in December where it went under the hammer for $25k plus BP and Taxes. This sale was unwound due to a title issue. 17011 was completely stock and original, everything would need doing but the chassis was nice as was the exterior and interior. Could do with a really good valet too. I passed and will continue looking for something like this but at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Agreed.