Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tiny notch on Fuel Distributor

  1. #1
    absotively posilutely bytes311's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  Modesto, CA

    Posts:    232

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Tiny notch on Fuel Distributor

    Hello all,

    My fuel distributor has a tiny notch/score at the banjo fitting for the return line, and no matter how tight I get it, the crush washer can not make it a perfect seal. The PO put a little rubber o-ring between the crush washer and the fuel distributor which I wasn't aware of until I started the process of replacing the original return hose.

    Is there an epoxy resin or a filler that's gas resistant that I can use to seal up that notch?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,784

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Tiny notch on Fuel Distributor

    Might be easier/safer to file it down flat.
    -----Dan B.

  3. #3
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,350

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Bad idea, I know you are very keen on keeping OEM looking lines but it's not worth the risk of the car burning down to keep it. Please buy new hoses, hell I'll give you my old return fuel hose for free.

  4. #4
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,784

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Bad idea, I know you are very keen on keeping OEM looking lines but it's not worth the risk of the car burning down to keep it. Please buy new hoses, hell I'll give you my old return fuel hose for free.
    The fuel distributor itself has the score, not the line:

    Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    My fuel distributor has a tiny notch/score
    -----Dan B.

  5. #5
    absotively posilutely bytes311's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  Modesto, CA

    Posts:    232

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    The fuel distributor itself has the score, not the line:
    Correct. I do have a new hose, it just won't seal properly with that tiny notch in the FD. I could sand it down as that was also my first thought, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

  6. #6
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,763

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    +1 Dan

    Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I could sand it down as that was also my first thought, but I wanted to hear other opinions.
    Don't sand it -- Use a file wide enough dress the whole area, square, with each stroke. Otherwise it will probably still leak.

  7. #7
    absotively posilutely bytes311's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  Modesto, CA

    Posts:    232

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1 Dan



    Don't sand it -- Use a file wide enough dress the whole area, square, with each stroke. Otherwise it will probably still leak.
    Okay, thanks!

  8. #8
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    7,071

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    File it as flat and square as you can. You should not have to remove much. Put a piece of paper inside to keep the metal particles from getting inside as you file.
    David Teitelbaum

  9. #9
    absotively posilutely bytes311's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  Modesto, CA

    Posts:    232

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    File it as flat and square as you can. You should not have to remove much. Put a piece of paper inside to keep the metal particles from getting inside as you file.
    Thanks David!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •