FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaky coolant hose connection

Leaky coolant hose connection

Regarding cooling system hoses, is there any kind of sealant that can be used to “assist” standard type hose clamps?

I have one location where a brand new hose coupled with the coolant pipe does not want to seal with just one hose clamp. The one clamp is tightened enough I think, without doing damage to the pipe. This is near the LF tire. I suspect it is because the tube may not be perfectly round, but I dunno...

IMG_20190418_082001971.jpg

Thanks.

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    10270

Hairspray.

I'd be surprised if the tube was out of round. It would be challenging to crush one of these tubes in a way that wasn't obvious, but you never know!

But I would pull the hard line and check it for mineral buildup and pinholes, especially pinholes as you'll have a helluva keeping a good seal around a pinhole.

You can get quite a scale behind the pipe beads which can prevent a proper seal. If I pull a hard line pipe I always remove scaling and shine up the end of the tube with sandpaper.
    This isn't something in your standard internet how-to as most cars don't have 22 rubber hose sections and 9 coolant hard lines
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The build-up of mineral deposits is the additive package trying to stop a leak. Do not try to stop the leak by over-tightening the hose clamp, you just wind up stripping it out. The way to fix the leak is to remove the hose, remove the build-up, and inspect for pinholes. If you find pinholes just slide a longer hose over them. You really should not need anything to seal the hoses but to slide the hoses on it makes it easier if you dip the hose in anti-freeze to lubricate them first.
    David Teitelbaum

Update

Thanks guys. I was able to remove some sediment, adjust the hose position a bit and it quit leaking from that point.

But...it turns out I still had a different leak that I didn't see before. After sticking my head close in the wheel well, I saw that the pipe (PN-105989) was warn through, apparently by the steering linkage. It went far enough into the pipe to create a pin hole.

Here is what it looks like with the coolant coming out:
    DeLorean-Coolant-Leak-0.jpg

And here is what it looks like with no pressure:
    DeLorean-Coolant-Leak-1.jpg

Can an aluminum pipe like this be welded? Or am I looking at buying a new one?

T.

My VIN:    03572

That looks like a lot of spline showing on the steering shaft. Did something move that is causing that.

Yes, aluminum pipe can be TIG welded.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That looks like a lot of spline showing on the steering shaft. Did something move that is causing that.
    Agreed, looks like a lot of spline showing. But nothing's changed that I know of. I am the only driver, and have had the car for some 13+ years, and know of nothing to cause a change in that area. Probably it has been rubbing for all that time, and maybe more, just has never been caught.

Might be a good idea for everyone to take a look at their steering linkages, and see if it is rubbing against the coolant pipe like this, next time they are under the car. I'd be curious to know if and how many others have experienced this. Could be an engineering flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes, aluminum pipe can be TIG welded.
    Great, I'll start a search for someone that can do a weld for me. When I get it fixed and back on the car, I'll try to adjust or twist it such that it has ample clearance from the steering linkage.

Thanks again!

Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 04-19-2019 at 03:12 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You aren't going to be able to weld it well because not only is it a thin pipe, where it wore through it is even thinner now. Either replace the pipe or use a piece of hose. That area is very crowded. Also common for the bolt in the steering to wear a hole in the A/C hose. One area that should be inspected regularly like the TAB's.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10270

Is that p/n 105988 ?

Probably easiest to buy a new one from DMCH. $31.60 isn't bad at all.

Or if you have a muffler or speed shop in town it would take all of 2 minutes to bend and bead roll some 1.25" aluminum tube.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

lose your steering....

Double check to see if the pinch bolt is actually
    in the groove of the steering shaft. Having the
    u-joint fall off and having no steering is no fun...I know

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You aren't going to be able to weld it well because not only is it a thin pipe, where it wore through it is even thinner now. Either replace the pipe or use a piece of hose. That area is very crowded. Also common for the bolt in the steering to wear a hole in the A/C hose. One area that should be inspected regularly like the TAB's.
    I thought about a section of hose to cover the hole and a couple of clamps, but in the end I want a permanent fix, so I'll probably have to replace that section of pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Is that p/n 105988 ?

Probably easiest to buy a new one from DMCH. $31.60 isn't bad at all.
    Actually, it's p/n 105989, $52.75 from DMCH. Right now I can't get the old one out from under the car (can't seem to get the front end high enough off the ground with just my floor jacks, I don't have a car lift). May have to JB Weld the hole just so I can get it someplace to put it on a lift, then replace with the new part.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Double check to see if the pinch bolt is actually
    in the groove of the steering shaft. Having the
    u-joint fall off and having no steering is no fun...
    Wow, that's scary! I'll definitely check that. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast