FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Removal of cowl below windshield?

APRIL 81

My VIN:    0952

Removal of cowl below windshield?

Hi all. New DeLorean owner here. My wife and I recently bought VIN 0952.

Are there any tricks to removing the plastic cowl below the windshield? I've searched extensively but haven't found an answer. I'm wanting to remove it to clean out the dirt and leaves underneath. I've removed the 5 screws but it seems that either end is tucked under the lip of the inner fender. I know this piece is fragile, so I'm hesitant to force the plastic and break it. I've also removed the first fender bolt to no avail.

Any tips out there for getting this piece off safely? Attached are some closeup pictures of the how the cowl is tucked under the fender (on both sides). Pardon the mess... it's very dirty, and I haven't been able to clean yet.

Thanks in advance!

Cowl 2.jpgCowl 1.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by JAZ_DMC View Post
    Hi all. New DeLorean owner here. My wife and I recently bought VIN 0952.

Are there any tricks to removing the plastic cowl below the windshield? I've searched extensively but haven't found an answer. I'm wanting to remove it to clean out the dirt and leaves underneath. I've removed the 5 screws but it seems that either end is tucked under the lip of the inner fender. I know this piece is fragile, so I'm hesitant to force the plastic and break it. I've also removed the first fender bolt to no avail.

Any tips out there for getting this piece off safely? Attached are some closeup pictures of the how the cowl is tucked under the fender (on both sides). Pardon the mess... it's very dirty, and I haven't been able to clean yet.

Thanks in advance!

Cowl 2.jpgCowl 1.jpg
    When I removed mine I flexed the entire piece to get it to pop out very slowly and carefully. I never did put it back under the fenders.
    This is my .02.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10353

I gently bent mine to get it free after removing all the screws. Don't recall having any significant problems. Think I pulled the wipers though to gain extra clearance.

APRIL 81

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    When I removed mine I flexed the entire piece to get it to pop out very slowly and carefully. I never did put it back under the fenders.
    This is my .02.

Dave B.
    Thank you. Agreed that not tucking it back under the fenders makes a lot of sense.

APRIL 81

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I gently bent mine to get it free after removing all the screws. Don't recall having any significant problems. Think I pulled the wipers though to gain extra clearance.
    Thanks for the response. It definitely seems to be a tight tolerance on ours.