FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Tacklife rivet nut tool (not recommended)

My VIN:    10201

Tacklife rivet nut tool (not recommended)

I used this tool to attempt putting in some stainless rivnuts for the fenders, but the m5 mandrel slipped out on the 2nd one. It had a 2 year warranty so they sent a replacement mandrel. That one slipped out on the first rivnut I tried.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

There are several tools similar to this on Amazon, and while they're not the greatest ever, I've found the ABN version of this tool to be acceptable. It's almost identical to yours, I'm sure

A few things to consider when setting Riv-nuts
    -The die must be well-lubricated, especially with stainless
    -The Riv-Nuts have a grip range, just like regular rivets, you'll need to adjust the tool to provide the right amount of crush for your base material

It sounds like you had the tool set too tight. It really doesn't take much force to set Riv-nuts, especially with these dual-lever tools.

I also recommend aluminum Riv-nuts for non-structural applications, as they're easier to set, easier to remove if needed, and provide good corrosion resistance

My VIN:    10201

I think the stainless rivnuts I got are the same length as the ones that came with the tool. I also followed their instructions as best as I could. They offered me a refund and I ended ordering the Astro Pneumatics version from Eastwood.

My VIN:    11596

Just another option, I bought this wrench-driven install tool for M5 rivnuts which works PRETTY well - about 90% of the rivnuts were installed no problem with it, however I'm not sure if it's the rivnut material that makes the biggest difference - the aluminum ones from DMCH strip fairly easily. I also had some brass (?) rivnuts from DPI with friction grooves on the side that worked really well. It can be hard to put pressure against the rivnut using this tool if using it upside down (washer fluid tank cover). However it's a good option for tight areas.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rivet-nut-i...vet-nut-tools/
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City