FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Delorean Performance Industries Spec 1 Stainless Steel Exhaust

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've added lock washers on my bolts as well after losing a few. The heat shield is warped as expected from the heating/cooling - should I remove the lock washers now that the shield is set? I'd hate to have a bracket break...
    -----Dan B.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Yes the shield needs to be able to deflect under different heat loads. The lock washers will force it to bind on the slots.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll remove them before any damage is done!
    -----Dan B.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Its actually not the lock washer but the orientation of it. If it is installed where the cut on the washer can bind in the shield hole there will be a problem. If you want to use a concave tension washer this is safe to do as long as there isn't a serration pattern stamped. We install just the 1/4 -20 bolts and use the machined underside of the head for seating on the z bracket. This give the proper tension.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Thought I would lend my two cents here. I installed the DPI exhaust and I am very pleased. I agonized for while before choosing this. The other venders may be excellent also, but I assure you will be happy with this. Of course, mine is their newest version. I guess they made a few changes based on customer responses. I can't say I would change anything on mine.

-They look fantastic
    -They fit perfect
    -They do add some power (don't expect miracles)
    -The sound is ideal for me

I will expand on the sound. It is slightly louder and more defined when idling or winding through the gears. But when you get to 60-80 cruising speed, it settles down to a nice background tone. It also makes a nice "burble" sound when you let off the throttle quickly. I have made a 700 mile trip (one way) and I'm completely happy with this exhaust.

Of note, the tips are the most polished SS I have ever seen. I kind of prefer a brushed look there, but could not convince myself to scotch brite that beautiful finish. Lol.

I have an update to this thread. One of my concerns with headers was how easy can you change the starter and alternator. I carry a spare of both on trips because nobody stocks them. (Auto parts stores)

The alternator is easy to change, even without jacking up the car. Today, I confirmed I can change the starter with the small tool box I carry in the car. It does require jacking up the car and you definitely need to wait for the exhaust to cool.

My VIN:    03500

I would recommend putting a insulated wrap on the starter and muffler. When I received my car the starter already had one. A couple years ago I put one on the muffler and I'm glad I did. It keeps a lot of that heat out of the engine bay! It definitely makes opening the engine bay on a warm day at a car show more bearable.
    I also have headers and I don't think wrapping them is really necessary.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I would recommend putting a insulated wrap on the starter and muffler. When I received my car the starter already had one. A couple years ago I put one on the muffler and I'm glad I did. It keeps a lot of that heat out of the engine bay! It definitely makes opening the engine bay on a warm day at a car show more bearable.
    I also have headers and I don't think wrapping them is really necessary.

Dave B.
    Funny you mention that. I installed a remanufacture “Premiere” starter before the headers a few months ago. It still worked, but it was “ticking” lately. (Like the solenoid was not quite working.) I’m not sure if heat played a part in its early demise. If this new one starts doing it, I will wrap it with some kind of insulation. I bought two “lifetime” starters at Autozone. The guy at the zone couldn’t understand why I would buy two when they are warranted for life. (I did the same with the alternator) The zones parts quality is really lacking, but their lifetime service makes up for it.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Funny you mention that. I installed a remanufacture “Premiere” starter before the headers a few months ago. It still worked, but it was “ticking” lately. (Like the solenoid was not quite working.) I’m not sure if heat played a part in its early demise. If this new one starts doing it, I will wrap it with some kind of insulation. I bought two “lifetime” starters at Autozone. The guy at the zone couldn’t understand why I would buy two when they are warranted for life. (I did the same with the alternator) The zones parts quality is really lacking, but their lifetime service makes up for it.
    My original starter is still doing well "knock on wood". But I have a premier incase it decides to puke.

Dave B.

DPI Spec 1 exhaust

Anybody in the New England area with this exhaust system?
    I’d like to hear it in person before pulling the trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2