FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the top builders to make a Time Machine?

Who are the top builders to make a Time Machine?

Hello all.

I am extremely new to the Delorean community. I haven't even bought one yet. I am in my very early stages to fulfilling a dream of buying one and having someone convert it.

Who are the best builders in the business? From my exhaustive research, Bob Moseley looks very skilled. I haven't found any other reputable ones that do great work.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Justin

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

SonnyV is awesome and I love the service they provide

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by loyalty4life View Post
    Hello all.

I am extremely new to the Delorean community. I haven't even bought one yet. I am in my very early stages to fulfilling a dream of buying one and having someone convert it.

Who are the best builders in the business? From my exhaustive research, Bob Moseley looks very skilled. I haven't found any other reputable ones that do great work.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Justin
    Hi. I would recommend checking out Coulombe Enterprises. I've been to Bruce Coulombe's shop and have seen his outstanding work:

http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/

Maybe you can research on this forum about Bob Mosley, aka "Video Bob". Personally, I'd much rather deal with Bruce.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    SonnyV is awesome and I love the service they provide
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    6125

In the old days a thread like this would devolve into a shit show almost instantly. Lets see if we can keep it classy DMCTalk.

My 2 cents? Build your own time machine DeLorean. That is half the fun, and you will enjoy knowing you did it yourself and didn't just open your checkbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In the old days a thread like this would devolve into a shit show almost instantly. Lets see if we can keep it classy DMCTalk.

My 2 cents? Build your own time machine DeLorean. That is half the fun, and you will enjoy knowing you did it yourself and didn't just open your checkbook.
    Unfortunately my creative skills are absent and I don’t have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalty4life View Post
    Unfortunately my creative skills are absent and I don’t have the time.
    Keep in mind that once your time machine converted DeLorean is "built", the work never really ends. You'll want to get to know at least the basics as far as what the builder has done to your car both physically and electrically since a lot of the props tie into the vehicle's electrical system. A screen accurate converted DeLorean leaves the rear parcel shelf open to the elements so there are compromises you may need to make such as leaving the rear window intact, or taking other measures to enclose the electronics from rain and weather. I've seen some pretty poor hack jobs where conversions were built using a lot of butt splices and no fuses anywhere, essentially turning the car into a reliability and safety nightmare.

Underneath all of those props is still a 38 year old classic vehicle that requires a lot of love and preventative maintenance vs a modern car where you can jump in, turn the key and go. If you are not mechanically inclined at all and don't have time to work on the car yourself you may still need to invest some time to learn or you will end up with a car that spends a lot of time in the shop for repairs that will drain your wallet.

I would spend as much time as you can talking with your prospective builders to find out how the conversion will affect the car itself and document what modifications will be made. That type of information will help inform you of what kind of builder you are dealing with and what it will be like trying to service your car after the fact. For example, screen accurate vents require removal of 18 or so button head cap screws to remove the lower half of the vents before you can even open the engine cover. Ask for photos of previous cars that your builder has made...not just the movie props, but of the underlying mechanical and electrical work so you can be informed of what kind of finished product you will be receiving.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Yeah I did my conversion all by myself. Saved a fortune!

1444854701714.jpg

The SUNKISTPACITOR. It's what makes thirst quenching possible.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-03-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi. I would recommend checking out Coulombe Enterprises. I've been to Bruce Coulombe's shop and have seen his outstanding work:

http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/

Call Bruce, I've seen his stuff up close.
    I've never met video bob, can't comment there

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast