FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where do I buy a Delorean?

Where do I buy a Delorean?

Hello,

As you may notice, I am very new to the Delorean community. I have a large interest in doing research and buying one. I have no idea where to look. Major car websites and apps don't have Deloreans listed, neither does craigslist. Where does one look? Is this the best place ultimately? Where do you look? I noticed DMC's website has used cars for sale on semi-rare occasion.

Any helpful ideas would be very appreciated! Thanks so much.

My VIN:    10644

There are 10 on eBay now. There are often some on Craigslist and cars posted here by members of the community. Try to find a local club. They’ll help you.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Thank you for the feedback so far. Where would I find a local club in the Pacific Northwest? Oregon/Washington?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by loyalty4life View Post
    Thank you for the feedback so far. Where would I find a local club in the Pacific Northwest? Oregon/Washington?
    Hi Justin, and welcome.

DMC has franchise locations around the country, including California. You could give them a call. Great cars sell within hours of availability as there are people just like you that are already actively searching.

You may want to check out Toby's DeLorean Parts Northwest shop:
    http://delorean-parts.com/
    (I believe they have a new website/location.)

Getting James Espy's buying guide is always a good idea:
    http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-th...tomobiles.aspx

Also, you can check out the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club thread to connect with local owners:
    http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?...an-Club-(PNDC)

Good luck!
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-03-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Justin, and welcome.

DMC has franchise locations around the country, including California. You could give them a call. Great cars sell within hours of availability as there are people just like you that are already actively searching.

You may want to check out Toby's DeLorean Parts Northwest shop:
    http://delorean-parts.com/
    (I believe they have a new website/location.)

Getting James Espy's buying guide is always a good idea:
    http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-th...tomobiles.aspx

Also, you can check out the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club thread to connect with local owners:
    http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?...an-Club-(PNDC)

Good luck!
    EDIT: If you want to spend the $50-$60k converting the car to a time machine, you may not want to spend $35-50k for a pristine car and hack it up, or maybe you would.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Happy hunting for your dream DeLorean.

Before mentioning a correction to your post I'll say craigslist isn't the first tool I'd use in a collector car search - just the same it could lead to something for you.

Correction: DeLoreans are listed on craigslist. Pick an area and type in "DeLorean" under Cars & Trucks to see what comes up. One is currently listed on CL in the SF Bay Area and another shows up in the Los Angeles area. At various times I've seen as many as 3 of them up on the Bay Area board. I didn't search any wider than those areas.

One reason not to search for a D or other collector cars on craigslist is that it's hard (impossible?) search for a one beyond a given metro area in one go. While shopping only for a nearby car makes it easier to inspect one and saves money on shipping it seriously reduces your choices.

Finding a local club is mentioned. Between that and perhaps looking at anything listed locally on craigslist you can start to get a feel for what's out there. James Espey's buyer guidebook is also mentioned. It's very, very useful to new buyers as well as to new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalty4life View Post
    Hello,

As you may notice, I am very new to the Delorean community. I have a large interest in doing research and buying one. I have no idea where to look. Major car websites and apps don't have Deloreans listed, neither does craigslist. Where does one look? Is this the best place ultimately? Where do you look? I noticed DMC's website has used cars for sale on semi-rare occasion.

Any helpful ideas would be very appreciated! Thanks so much.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Happy hunting for your dream DeLorean.

Before mentioning a correction to your post I'll say craigslist isn't the first tool I'd use in a collector car search - just the same it could lead to something for you.

Correction: DeLoreans are listed on craigslist. Pick an area and type in "DeLorean" under Cars & Trucks to see what comes up. One is currently listed on CL in the SF Bay Area and another shows up in the Los Angeles area. At various times I've seen as many as 3 of them up on the Bay Area board. I didn't search any wider than those areas.

One reason not to search for a D or other collector cars on craigslist is that it's hard (impossible?) search for a one beyond a given metro area in one go. While shopping only for a nearby car makes it easier to inspect one and saves money on shipping it seriously reduces your choices.

Finding a local club is mentioned. Between that and perhaps looking at anything listed locally on craigslist you can start to get a feel for what's out there. James Espey's buyer guidebook is also mentioned. It's very, very useful to new buyers as well as to new owners.

These are very good reminders. I do appreciate that.

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You can use a search engine for craigslist that searches all areas across the country. Autotempest comes to mind for that. It's sort of a pain but will easily do the massive search for a Delorean

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    You can use a search engine for craigslist that searches all areas across the country. Autotempest comes to mind for that. It's sort of a pain but will easily do the massive search for a Delorean
    x2/ Autotempest is good.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

APRIL 81

My VIN:    952

The classifieds on Hemmings (hemmings.com) is a good resource.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast