FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Curious Leak from AC Compressor?

My VIN:    03572

I once had a compressor bolt fall out (not on a DeLorean). The result was a leak like your seeing. The threads were stripped but it had held many years with no problems. I guess the factory had messed it up or some vibration that made if fail. I did fix it using a helicoil.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Unless you're looking to be real adventurous and have a bunch of time, I'd recommend just putting in a new compressor that's brand new from Sanden rather than NOS and it's also a direct drop in replacement. Same as the original. This is that compressor:

http://store.sanden.com/index.php/4708.html

I've had the same one in my car for about 5 years and it's been perfect. If you're using R12 like I am, simply drain out the PAG oil that is pre-filled at the factory and replace it with an equal amount of mineral oil. Fill the system with R12 and you're all set. If you're using r134a, even better. Just mount it, connect the hoses, and fill the system with refrigerant.

The 4708 model of the SD7H15 couldn't be a more perfect fit for the DeLorean, no matter which refrigerant you're using.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

When all is correct, with stock compressor, using R134a, how many PSI should the low pressure read as you add the refrigerant? Will this vary based on the RPM or temp? I read somewhere that 35 PSI was acceptable.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    When all is correct, with stock compressor, using R134a, how many PSI should the low pressure read as you add the refrigerant? Will this vary based on the RPM or temp? I read somewhere that 35 PSI was acceptable.
    The low pressure is controlled by the low pressure switch. Basically you should see it swinging about 25 to 45 PSI as the low pressure switch cuts in and out. It is not affected byt the amount of charge of the system.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks. That will be what I need, David.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2