FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curious Leak from AC Compressor?

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Curious Leak from AC Compressor?

I changed the oil a week or so ago. I keep cardboard under the engine to check for leaks and to use it to kneel on while working under the car. Yesterday I noticed some spots and thought I didn't tighten the oil plug enough so I slightly tightened it and rearranged the cardboard to the "clean side". This morning I noticed some spots but it wasn't under the oil plug. SO I checked it out this evening. I notice drops hanging on to pieces on the driver's side that were green in color. I thought it might be anti-freeze but as I traced it upward, it looks like it was originating from the underside of the AC compressor, toward the rear of the car. I checked the water hoses in the area and the overflow tank but they all look good. What could be leaking from the AC compressor? The R134 is gas and wouldn't come out as a fluid could it? I cleaned everything up so I'll see if it's still leaking in the morning.
    Shannon

My VIN:    10353

Does your r134 have a bunch of green dye additive?
    That might be showing you have a good ac leak but is your AC working still?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Could be refrigerant oil. When refrigerant leaks out it carries some of the oil with it. Other common leaks in that area;
    Oil pressure sender
    Cam cover behind idler bearing "O" ring
    Could also be anti-freeze.
    Clean things up good and watch for where it first appears. Leaks tend to occur up and towards the front of the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

It would appear that your front seal may be leaking on the AC compressor. You're right about the refrigerant being a gas (unless compressed), but the Ester/PAG lubricant is an oil. Is it also wet around the AC clutch area?

Clutch area:

Here is the (carbon) seal that normally leaks (the round part next to the compressor):

In this picture the new parts are shown on top, and the old parts below.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

A/C was working fine on Wednesday when I was driving around. The green stuff looked like it was starting at the top of the engine, dripping from the AC condenser not lower. It was definitely green so it isn't motor oil. I can't find any leaks with any water hoses in the area. I noticed a drop on the cardboard this morning on the way out so I'll have to take a look later and see where it's accumulating on the engine.
    Shannon

The leak is definitely coming from the AC compressor. I had the AC serviced in March and there was a leak. It was filled with Red Tek and probably some kind of oil which is leaking. Is there a seal that can go bad allowing the leak? Here is a picture of the underside of the compressor.20190607_185006 (Large).jpg
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    The leak is definitely coming from the AC compressor. I had the AC serviced in March and there was a leak. It was filled with Red Tek and probably some kind of oil which is leaking. Is there a seal that can go bad allowing the leak? Here is a picture of the underside of the compressor.20190607_185006 (Large).jpg
    Yes, it appears from your picture that the o-ring seal between the front head and the body is compromised. It is the black ring in this picture:

...unless the oil is dripping down from the front seal in my other post above ^ which is a more common failure.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-07-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yes, it appears from your picture that the o-ring seal between the front head and the body is compromised. It is the black ring in this picture:

...unless the oil is dripping down from the front seal in my other post above ^ which is a more common failure.
    How does one fix this?
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    How does one fix this?
    Hi Shannon. Well, most people just buy a new compressor but if you are adventurous and sufficiently skilled, the 2 seals can be replaced (and the bearing for good measure). The procedure is detailed here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...rly-A-C-System

..starting on post 14.
    Dana

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Shannon. Well, most people just buy a new compressor but if you are adventurous and sufficiently skilled, the 2 seals can be replaced (and the bearing for good measure). The procedure is detailed here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...rly-A-C-System

..starting on post 14.
    That's what I did is got a new compressor you can find them relatively cheap just have to exchange the backs and done.

Dave B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast