FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blend door actuator arm broke...

My VIN:    15275

Blend door actuator arm broke...

Now what?? this part is unavailable.. It the the plastic piece on the arm for the center vents.. its accesable if I take off the right knee bolster.. maybe glue it?? anyone have this break before/???

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    Now what?? this part is unavailable.. It the the plastic piece on the arm for the center vents.. its accesable if I take off the right knee bolster.. maybe glue it?? anyone have this break before/???
    Hmm, I wonder if it is a good candidate for a 3D printed part?

I'm still amazed by this technology.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

This isn’t uncommon. I had to superglue mine back together. BUT the part is still available from DMCH here:

https://store.delorean.com/p-7624-housing-air-dist.aspx
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    15275

hi

yes I saw that it came as a whole assembly.. I am going to take it out and try to glue it also.. what did u use on it? just super glue?? or jb weld or something?? thanks...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    yes I saw that it came as a whole assembly.. I am going to take it out and try to glue it also.. what did u use on it? just super glue?? or jb weld or something?? thanks...
    I just used plain old superglue.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    3455

Glue would probably be the easiest thing to try, maybe with some splint-like supports added. I wouldn't mind trying to model one for 3d printing. If I recall it's not that complex of a part. Do you have a clear picture? If you or someone else has one they could live without for a few days, I could take measurements and maybe come up with a workable part to send back (along with the original).

If it works out I wouldn't mind posting the finished model in the resources section and folks can print their own and experiment with different types of plastic.

I made one for 1246 a year and a half ago out of a few different sizes of rectangular brass tubing, cut, bent, drilled, and soldered to match the shape and size of the original one. It works perfectly and I was really surprised how easy it was to make. I think it took a half hour or so. If you can solder and are a bit handy I think you would have no problem and have a permanent fix.
    Rich

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if it is a good candidate for a 3D printed part?
    If you mean lever P/N 105068, then I think it can be easily 3D printed using inexpensive FDM technology, with some minor changes to improve strength (FDM part is always slightly weaker than injection moulded one). If anybody's still interested I can give it a try and order prototype parts just for around $10 each, including shipping. But it make take me 2 weeks or so - have to remove mine first and reverse-engineer it.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    If you mean lever P/N 105068, then I think it can be easily 3D printed using inexpensive FDM technology, with some minor changes to improve strength (FDM part is always slightly weaker than injection moulded one). If anybody's still interested I can give it a try and order prototype parts just for around $10 each, including shipping. But it make take me 2 weeks or so - have to remove mine first and reverse-engineer it.
    I'm not sure, do you mean P/N 105066? That's the part that came to mind when painterdave72 described it.

It's good that the whole assembly is still available.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I used JB Weld when mine snapped. No issues.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast