FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best door struts?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The ones I got from Rob stop softly. The doors open with force and near the end slow the door down so it doesn't shake the entire car. I can take some photos but it will look the same as what Dana already posted. I do not know the source Rob uses, it may be easier to call him and ask him about them.
    -----Dan B.

OK, thank you for the reply.

So they are not like original and the ones Hervey sold - with black pistons,
    but otherwise you seem happy with them ?

Still some sell these without the damping feature and way too strong.

BR
    Elvis

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

DMCH door struts

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Anyone bought door struts from DMCH lately? I just received a set, and they have no slow-down at all at the top of travel, despite that promise on the sales page.
    Is there something wrong or is this normal? I see people love theirs from Grady -- wondering if I need to switch.

My previous set was from DMCH, and I was very happy with them. In fact, they lasted forever! I installed them in 2004.
    DMCH door struts have been my go-to's for some time now. The current ones are ~4yrs old, so not "lately" bought. They work fine. Little or no bounce.

My torsion bars are set to minimize the force needed to close the doors from inside while still opening the door to the top hands-free. As a result it's easy to latch the doors from inside on the first pull and the door doesn't fly up and bounce when opened.

A separate factor with lift struts is the color of the components. At least the door struts, as noted in this thread, can vary in their color details from vendor to vendor. Aside from performance, durability and price this may be a factor to buyers.

My DMCH units are all-black, including black piston shaft and end-mounts. This appears to still be the case at DMCH: https://store.delorean.com...door-strut
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Don't know what's going on, but at 168,000 miles I'm still running
    on my original angle drive and my Hervey door struts are 18? 20?
    years old and the passenger door sags just a little. It must be the
    clear Montana air, the lack of government interference and very little
    virus....or what?....

I need to move to Montana just for the clean air angle drive life!
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    5625

Just had my PJ Grady door strut on my drivers door start to sag after only a couple of years. I really liked them because they seemed to be the strongest on the market out of the others I had tried.

Anyone heard from Rob lately? I want to order another, but they say out of stock on his website and nobody is answering the parts order hotline.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Just had my PJ Grady door strut on my drivers door start to sag after only a couple of years. I really liked them because they seemed to be the strongest on the market out of the others I had tried.

Anyone heard from Rob lately? I want to order another, but they say out of stock on his website and nobody is answering the parts order hotline.
    Rob was responding on a FB post in the tech help group the other day. He stated that he has sold the majority of his parts stock to Delorean EU, and isn't currently working on DMCs, but hasn't totally retired. He stated he was considering moving out of state and may open a smaller DMC operation wherever he ends up.

My VIN:    03430

Facebook conversation can be seem here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2907...5052522033571/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I can't answer your question about Rob's availability.

You may want to try DMCH. My last set of DMCH door struts lasted 7 years, a record for the car over the decades. Stabilus brand is what they supplied.

Replaced them last week with a new DMCH pair, again Stabilus and again with the same all-black finish that I prefer.

I noticed this set has the open-arrest feature. They lift the door quickly until the last few inches of travel when there's more dampening. No door bounce. So these DMCH units are now similar to PJ Grady door struts, and perhaps others, in that respect.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I recently got the stainless steel door struts from deloreango. I really like them, so much so I immediately ordered the louver struts and the hood ones also. I wish I just bought the entire set from the get go.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    I recently got the stainless steel door struts from deloreango. I really like them, so much so I immediately ordered the louver struts and the hood ones also. I wish I just bought the entire set from the get go.
    Is there any statement from them about increased longevity vs. black ones? With the higher price that may lead some to think so.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast