FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Best door struts?

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Is there any statement from them about increased longevity vs. black ones? With the higher price that may lead some to think so.
    The website has the same description for the black and the stainless struts.

Just found this thread and read through it. I have another project that I used gas struts on and did quite a bit of research on them. The part that might be of interest to you guys is “oil filled gas struts”. Regular gas struts use compressed gas as the spring. The rate and power of the spring is related to the psi of the gas and size of the cylinder.

Oil filled gas springs have oil in them (obviously) that slows the spring rate down without decreasing the power. When I was sourcing the springs for my project, they had both styles in McMaster-Carr. I just went there now and can’t find the dampened ones. It would seem like they would be a good choice for our doors to stop the door from “slamming” open.

IÂ’m going to do some more research on this when I get a chance. If there is a proper one for our application, I will post it here.

My VIN:    10207

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Just found this thread and read through it. I have another project that I used gas struts on and did quite a bit of research on them. The part that might be of interest to you guys is “oil filled gas struts”. Regular gas struts use compressed gas as the spring. The rate and power of the spring is related to the psi of the gas and size of the cylinder.

Oil filled gas springs have oil in them (obviously) that slows the spring rate down without decreasing the power. When I was sourcing the springs for my project, they had both styles in McMaster-Carr. I just went there now and can’t find the dampened ones. It would seem like they would be a good choice for our doors to stop the door from “slamming” open.

IÂ’m going to do some more research on this when I get a chance. If there is a proper one for our application, I will post it here.
    Would oil filled springs also lower the difference in power of the strut, related to temperature changes, b/c of the difference in rate of thermo-expansion between the gas and the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post

So are the ones you are taking about have a coiled spring in them? I would think all the struts that slow down at the end of the stroke have some oil to provide that function and they all use gas to work as a spring.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So are the ones you are taking about have a coiled spring in them? I would think all the struts that slow down at the end of the stroke have some oil to provide that function and they all use gas to work as a spring.
    No, I think they were gas sprung also. It is my understanding that all gas springs have some oil in them. But the ones I was referring to had more oil. On my other project, I could not get the right size, so I never got to feel one. If you use McMasterCarr, you know they have a little section explaining about things they sell. But now that they don’t seem to offer the oil filled kind, they took the explanation down also.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4