FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: No interior courtesy lamps

No interior courtesy lamps

I am slowly getting the little"bugs" out of 2126, after its 21 years of hibernation. Began checking today on the interior lamps---both the front and rear lamps you can move to the always on position--lights work OK---but the door open position, neither lamp lites---I have the wiring schematic, and it appears both operate thru the courtesy delay lamp relay(23). How can I test this relay? Another option, can this delay relay be wired around, so that when the doors are closed, lamps go out (bypassing the delay relay).
    Any help/ideals /solutions appreciated.
    Also---are the delay relays available, if mine is determined to be bad? Thanks

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You can just remove the white relay - they will work without it.

Check the fuse

Check the door switches

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Another common reason for the interior lamps to not work properly is corrosion on the brass contacts in the plastic housings. VERY CAREFULLY pry and disassemble the lamps and clean the brass up so it is shiny. Then VERY CAREFULLY reassemble them. The have three positions, off, flicker, and dim. OK, OK, I couldn't help myself! They should have three positions, off, always on, and on when either door is open. Make sure the wires to the door switches on the driver's door go to the correct switches. What I mean is there are 2 groups of 2. They are taped together in groups of 2. DO NOT cross them. One group of 2 is for the door buzzer and the other is the lighting. Bad things happen if you mix them up and hook one wire from each group to the same switch.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Pull the relay and it might start working. While you are in there do yourself a favor and disconnect the lock module as well.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It's probably the diodes in the drivers side foot well if the other tests above still don't make the lights turn on.

All 3 of my diodes were shot.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The diodes were what killed mine too. Two of them had cold solider joints.

Do the door lights work?

Interior lites

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The diodes were what killed mine too. Two of them had cold solider joints.

Do the door lights work?
    Well, I pulled the relay---now the lites come on when door opened--off when closed--guess I need a new relay---who sells the delay relay-----Thanks to all who helped,

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If you want one that works like a modern day unit and has some fun features, the Digital Dome Light Module(relay) that Dave M (Bitsyncmaster) sells is highly recommended.

Works with LED's too. The OEM will not. Found here: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze109dmk/
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.