FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Better applicators than microfiber cloth?

Better applicators than microfiber cloth?

Has anybody figured out if there’s any better type of applicator than microfiber cloth‘s which you constantly have to re-fold up as you use them and they to easily smear things on the windows while you’re treating the leather for example. They’re just not very precision type of tool. Plus they can make your hands get a little tired from constantly pressing against the different services. Anything better?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Has anybody figured out if there’s any better type of applicator than microfiber cloth‘s which you constantly have to re-fold up as you use them and they to easily smear things on the windows while you’re treating the leather for example. They’re just not very precision type of tool. Plus they can make your hands get a little tired from constantly pressing against the different services. Anything better?
    I have an idea, use a different cloth for the windows than you used for the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have an idea, use a different cloth for the windows than you used for the seats.
    Right, I currently use one for each type. I just don’t like cleaning the edge of the leather by the window and getting stuff on the window. Don’t they make some kind of angled of the foam applicator’s or something?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

I second that, I never use any cloth for two applications, example, seat conditioner and window cleaner, use window micro fibers for windows only, and a separate one for dash cleaner, seat cleaner, stainless polish, etc.
    Also wash them separate so you don’t cross contaminate the cloths.
    Good luck!

Right, I currently use one for each type. I just don’t like cleaning the edge of the leather by the window and getting stuff on the window. Don’t they make some kind of angled of the foam applicator’s or something?
    The only leather in the car is the seats. I personally have never had an issue using MF cloths but one trick is to save windows for dead last. That goes for inside and outside. Vinyl doesn't need the care that leather needs so maybe use something less greasy as leather conditioner will not absorb into the material on the A pillars. Also don't put dressing on the dash, or at least use it very sparingly. Most dressings will release particles and will transfer on the inside of the windshield in a matter of hours.

When doing my dash, which doesn't need it that often, I put my sunscreen in and use an aerosol spray I use on my interior components. It dries to a nice matt sheen and is not greasy to the touch and doesn't attract dust. Most of the windshield is protected by the shield and I do the windscreen last.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-12-2019 at 07:09 AM.

My VIN:    6125

I'm assuming you've probably seen these foam pads covered with microfiber cloth? If not, I highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/CarCarez-Micr...94353344&psc=1

I use them for applying products like wax or cleaner where I need a little more control over where the product is going. Currently it sounds like you're spraying directly onto whatever surface you are cleaning and then working it in and buffing it out with a microfiber towel. With the applicator pads you can apply the product directly to the pad and then work it onto whatever surface you're dealing with. You may end up using slightly more product this way to saturate the pad, but you will eliminate overspray so it probably ends up about the same usage.

The pads are cheap enough to be disposable after one use. Or for small touch ups if you only use one side of the pad at a time you can save them for reuse a couple of times.

The main thing is to not cross contaminate between different products. I've got a couple lightly used pads in ziploc bags marked with what I used them for, IE "Back to Black" or "Leatherique Pristine Clean", etc. so I don't waste a new pad for small jobs and so I don't mix leather cleaner with caranuba wax.

Thanks guys. yes, I was already only using one cloth per type of cleaner, conditioner, whatever. However my problem is is that when I clean off the tops of the doors I really want to get close to the edges I can to get the UV stuff on it but then it touches the windows. I do save the windows to last but I figured there probably be an easier way to just get it done with a little more precision. I did not know that it was only the seats that are leather. I thought the doors in the kneepads were also leather. So thanks for that information. I do spray directly onto a cloth and then wipe it which cuts down on extra mass. I’ll get those pads. Thanks again

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Actually the only leather is the seating surfaces (not the sides or the backs) the pull straps on the doors, the steering wheel and on the 5-speeds, the shifter boot. All the rest of the interior is either carpet, plastic, metal or vinyl. If you don't want to get stuff on the glass use a painter's shield or masking tape. The glass is always the last thing to be done. If you don't like using micro fiber cloths to apply stuff use foam pads. Or wrap a foam pad in a M/F cloth. You have to experiment to find the best combination that works for you.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Actually the only leather is the seating surfaces (not the sides or the backs) the pull straps on the doors, the steering wheel and on the 5-speeds, the shifter boot. All the rest of the interior is either carpet, plastic, metal or vinyl. If you don't want to get stuff on the glass use a painter's shield or masking tape. The glass is always the last thing to be done. If you don't like using micro fiber cloths to apply stuff use foam pads. Or wrap a foam pad in a M/F cloth. You have to experiment to find the best combination that works for you.
    Thank you for summarizing everyone else's responses, changing the wording, and making it your own....classic David T

The only thing missing is a copy and paste tech manual page.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-13-2019 at 10:58 PM.