FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: White Tire Paint - finally, a source!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So after almost a year I've had some adhesion issues. I've also discovered that the more sun that hits the tires the quicker they brown which would explain why the paint job lasts all winter with little issue.

I'm going to get a special rubber bonding prep agent and try this again. I love rwl so I'm not about to give up.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    So after almost a year I've had some adhesion issues. I've also discovered that the more sun that hits the tires the quicker they brown which would explain why the paint job lasts all winter with little issue.

I'm going to get a special rubber bonding prep agent and try this again. I love rwl so I'm not about to give up.
    I bought this paint, and I had the EXACT same issue. Mine was fine when I painted it in the garage, soon as I took it outside, it turned dirt brown. I washed and scrubbed it, still brown.

At this point, I really don't think that it's the prep work. I literally put on FIVE coats of it, there is no way it should yellow through all that.

I've moved on to trying exterior white house paint. RWL paint sucked for me, I'd pass on it people.

Yeah. It's not a quick or easy once and done job.

I'll keep everyone posted on my results since there has got to be a way.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

I win.

A few weeks back i took one more stab at my white tire paint. I went to Home Depot and bought some "Problem Solver" primer. It claimed it could bond to almost anything and prevent staining and bleed through.

I peeled off as much of the original tire paint as I could, cleaned everything and prepared the surface and did two coats of the primer. I then did one coat of the WTP. They looked great, and two full weeks later they haven't even browned in the slightest! I think I may have won this battle.

When I have time, I'll do two more coats of WTP just to be safe.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I win.

A few weeks back i took one more stab at my white tire paint. I went to Home Depot and bought some "Problem Solver" primer. It claimed it could bond to almost anything and prevent staining and bleed through.

I peeled off as much of the original tire paint as I could, cleaned everything and prepared the surface and did two coats of the primer. I then did one coat of the WTP. They looked great, and two full weeks later they haven't even browned in the slightest! I think I may have won this battle.

When I have time, I'll do two more coats of WTP just to be safe.
    I'll have to try this on my tires. Wonder if I can just put the primer over the coats of paint already on though? I have like 4 coats on, would hate to have to tear all that off first.

Quote Originally Posted by uhhair View Post
    I'll have to try this on my tires. Wonder if I can just put the primer over the coats of paint already on though? I have like 4 coats on, would hate to have to tear all that off first.
    I'd imagine if it's not peeling it shouldnt be a problem. just wash well with soap and dry for 24 hours.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Update.

The problem solver primer solved 90% of the issues I was having. No more browning. Period! The white stays white.

I saw about 10% of the paint peel back. You'd never notice it unless you looked for it.

This is with about 2000 miles one the car this summer in pacific northwest conditions.

I think this is about as good as its going to get, given you're painting oily rubber that constantly gets shifted around, bent, warped and stretched as you drive.

Conclusion - the primer/paint combo works best, but if you want it to look show quality be ready to repaint your tires once a year, probably in the spring. I'm happy with this.

My system - 2 coats of the primer and 4 coats of the paint.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10084

I found this.

www.ironcrossinnovations.com

I may go this route.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    I found this.

www.ironcrossinnovations.com

I may go this route.
    Now, THIS is cool.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10084

I agree. And guaranteed for life. I"m going to order a set for my motorcycle tires. I have an 85 Gpz900 that would look cool with these. I'll get some pics up when I get them in! If they work as well as I think they will I'm going to get a set for the DeLorean.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast