FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to help them or slap them? Or both?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Do you want to help them or slap them? Or both?

I just recently put my car up for sale. I've got it listed in a few places and am getting the usual "what's the lowest you'll take for it" and "does it come with the flux capacitor" stupidity......Every now and then I get a sincere inquiry.

Yesterday I got an interested party that messaged me. He was asking questions about a $40K car versus a $25K fixer upper he had his eye on.... so I offered to educate him on the phone.

My first clue should have been when he typed, "yeah, hold on, let me get out of bed" at 1 in the afternoon......after a 10 minute oration about how he's wanted one of these forever and has sacrificed so much and it was 'time', I find out he's 21, no job, 2 kids, girlfriend is the only income and he's still paying off his Corolla. No problem though, he'll get a loan. Has owned 21 cars he says. Such a good mechanic that Firestone offered him a job on the spot when he took his car there for an alignment... this drivel continued for 20 minutes....... I felt like I was talking to Jeff Spicoli meets Bart Simpson meets Forrest Gump.

1. I wouldn't sell my car to this guy if he showed up with $40,000 cash in hand. I want it to survive another 40 years. Pride in my work, pride in the car JZD produced.
    2. He lives in Austin, TX. Go figure. I'm betting it was mommy's basement too.
    3. While I was polite and even helped to educate him on what to look for when shopping for a Delorean, I couldn't resist being a responsible adult and father and advised him to NOT borrow money for a Delorean that he has no apparent chance of maintaining! Grow the hell up buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4. I fear for my old age if THIS is the generation that we are leaving the planet to............

Oi Vay.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This new generation is beyond scary and I feel sorry for what is to come after my lifetime.
    That guy deserves the SLAP big time. The right person will come forward that will give it the respect and admiration. I wish that was me currently.....
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

You should recommend that he starts a gofundme page..................................
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    You should recommend that he starts a gofundme page..................................
    Shannon

My VIN:    10201

Get out of here with "this generation" garbage. Just cause there's some idiots here and there doesnt mean we all are.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Get out of here with "this generation" garbage. Just cause there's some idiots here and there doesnt mean we all are.
    Fair enough. I believe I have raised my kids to be exceptions as well. It's a percentage thing though isn't it? I don't find it too hard of a stretch to say that our educational system has failed and our at-large parenting has failed so that we have a higher percentage than ever of dipshits out there.

There are, thankfully, exceptions to every trend. Hopefully they will join the ranks that will need to corral these dipshits.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Get out of here with this "get off my lawn" garbage, Owen. Where are you getting these statistics about parenting? You're smarter and better than this. Sounds like you're experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Get out of here with this "get off my lawn" garbage, Owen. Where are you getting these statistics about parenting? You're smarter and better than this. Sounds like you're experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You lost me..... are you putting full faith in today's kids?
    Does this mean you no longer want a hug?
    I'm so confused
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Holy crap, where did I say or imply that I am "putting full faith into today's kids?" Nowhere. You read into it what you wanted to read into it. Further proof of your self-fulfilling prophecy. You also didn't answer any of the questions I asked you.

And no, I don't want to hug someone that thinks the way you seem to right now.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Holy crap, where did I say or imply that I am "putting full faith into today's kids?" Nowhere. You read into it what you wanted to read into it. Further proof of your self-fulfilling prophecy. You also didn't answer any of the questions I asked you.

And no, I don't want to hug someone that thinks the way you seem to right now.

Whoa big fella! What questions did you ask? Where I'm getting statistics on the opinion of parenting??????? Observation?

I'm truly disappointed in the folks out there that want someone else to provide for them. To pay for this for them. To forgive the debt or the choices they made. To 'redo' things they don't like. I may be funneling that disappointment onto a single generation when it more properly should be allocated to a larger group of individuals, but it is my observation that unless there is "an app for that", much of this generation can't do it, whatever "it" is. I blame the parents and the educational system. Or should I blame the 'victim'? The individual in question in this thread is not at all dissimilar to many that we've been exposed to on TV, in our neighborhoods, in the news, maybe even in one's own family? It is NOT healthy.

The intent here is not to enter into politics or ideology. I'm sorry my 'thoughts' bother you.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast