FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dash Brake light on.

My VIN:    3390

Dash Brake light on.

Trying to turn off my brake light on the dash. I checked the e-brake switch. The dash light does turn off once in a while when I hit a bump in the road. I think it’s a loose ground wire. Looking for advice on where to check.

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by QuadcityDMC View Post
    The dash light does turn off once in a while when I hit a bump in the road.
    Brake fluid level too low? Or a faulty level switch.

IMHO, loose wire would mean no brake light at all - unless it touches vehicle's ground somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    Brake fluid level too low? Or a faulty level switch.

IMHO, loose wire would mean no brake light at all - unless it touches vehicle's ground somewhere.
    Rhye is on target. There are two switches that turn on the "BRAKE" indicator: the emergency brake switch and the low brake fluid switch. Either switch will turn on the indicator. If bumps in the road are causing the light to blink off, likely culprit is the brake fluid reservoir switch. Since as a safety item you need to check the brake reservoir anyway; while your there, disconnect the wire connected to the reservoir cap and see if the light goes out. Of course a low level explains the light and means the switch may be working properly. If so, fill the reservoir to its proper level, reinstall the cap and verify the warning light is off (now it's time to see where the brake fluid is leaking). If the level was full and disconnecting the wire doesn't turn off the warning, take a look at the emergency brake switch. You can do the same test by disconnecting the emergency brake switch connection. If you have both connectors off and the light is still on, it's time to look for a wire that has shorted to the frame.

Ron

My VIN:    3390

Thanks, I feel like a dork. Didn’t even occur to me to check the break fluid switch. I did top it off in October of 2015, never a sign of a leak or weak breaking.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the level is low you have a leak. You should be flushing and replacing the brake fluid every other year.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Unplug the wire from the top of the master cylinder. If the light goes off, it's low (should be pretty obvious at this point). As the pads wear it's normal for the level to drop. How much have you driven it since October of 2015?

If not, and/or fluid level is OK, check to be sure that the carpet isn't holding the e-brake handle from going all the way to the floor. Sometimes its the stupid things that get you.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I've had cars that would trigger the brake warning light simply by having a blown or missing bulb. Not sure if that is the case with Deloreans as well.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

On Deloreans the only reasons the E brake light would come on is;
    1) the E brake handle is not ALL the way down
    2) the fluid level is low in the master brake cylinder reservoir
    3) a wiring or switch problem.

The warning light will NOT light if either hydraulic brake system is inop. Unlike most cars there is no proportioning valve with a safety switch to indicate a brake system problem. There is no ABS either and no worn pad warning. The warning light won't self-test on start up either.
    David Teitelbaum