FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Reverse is not Responding

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Reverse is not Responding

Well this is not good. According to the Workshop Manual no drive in reverse equals bad B1 Brake and that means the transmission needs to come out. Is there anything in the linkage I should check before budgeting for a transmission job? The fluid is full, red, and not burnt scented. All three forward gears are working fine. I replaced the filter two years ago with one of Michael's new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated as always
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unusual for it to fail in this manner. Before pulling the transmission do all of the external "On Car" checks like fluid level and gearshift adjustment. If that doesn't get you reverse, the transmission will have to be pulled.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If Park is really Park (i.e. car won't roll), pull the lever slowly out of park and thru reverse into neutral while keeping the release lever pulled. You might find that it's there but not quite aligned with the gate in the shifter.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    If Park is really Park (i.e. car won't roll), pull the lever slowly out of park and thru reverse into neutral while keeping the release lever pulled. You might find that it's there but not quite aligned with the gate in the shifter.
    I'm really hoping this works!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Doing a thread resurrection here, I finally solved my no reverse problem and it (thankfully) turned out to be a simple fix. I was changing my leaky pan gasket when I noticed a stubby hose and a thin copper tube had become disconnected. It was the vacuum line from the intake to the transmission vacuum modulator, #28 (https://store.delorean.com/parts/aut...modulator.html) The copper line was sheathed in rubber and broke when I tried to reconnect to the short hose from the vacuum modulator. I bought 2 feet of 7/32" line and clamped over the remnant of the metal line from the intake and used an adapter to connect to the modulator.

I also found one of the magnets in the fluid pan was blocking a portion of the mesh screen in the filter.

After correcting these issues 10287 has a working reverse gear again. Hope this helps any other auto D drivers out there.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Neither of the 2 things you found can disable reverse. You must have touched something else. If you had enough fluid for Drive you should have had enough for reverse, the magnet wasn't blocking flow. The line to the modulator lowers line pressure for softer shifts. The transmission will still work without it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Neither of the 2 things you found can disable reverse. You must have touched something else. If you had enough fluid for Drive you should have had enough for reverse, the magnet wasn't blocking flow. The line to the modulator lowers line pressure for softer shifts. The transmission will still work without it.
    Beats the hell out of me. All I know is what I observed no reverse with those two issues and now that I fixed them I have reverse. I think I will call it a miracle.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Beats the hell out of me. All I know is what I observed no reverse with those two issues and now that I fixed them I have reverse. I think I will call it a miracle.
    I would at least recheck the gearshift linkage adjustment just to be sure.
    David Teitelbaum