FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Roof box repair

My VIN:    10722

How To: Roof box repair

I thought I would share my recent experience with a roof box repair. If you haven't experienced this yet, you will sooner or later. A few years ago, I noticed some surface rust at the driver's side top door/roof area. No issues with the door opening or closing - everything appeared solid. Delorean has always been garaged in Illinois since it was sold to the original owner in 1983. I took it to DMCMW to get this repaired. Here's what they found:

Delorean_roof_box_repair_cut_out_section2019.jpgDelorean_roof_box_repair_rusted_inside2019.jpg

Note: door hinge areas on front and back are still solid so no need to mess with these areas:

Delorean_roof_box_rear_drivers_door_hinge2019.jpg

After cutting out the rusted areas on the driver's side, new metal (16 gauge vs. the original 18 gauge) was fabricated, welded in and rust-proofed:

Delorean_roof_box_bottom_piece_installed2019.jpgDelorean_roof_box_repair_new_metal_2019.jpg

After completion, you can hardly tell anything was fixed - looks better than new! [Note: original metal is not galvanized, has no paint on the inside, and only a light dusting of black paint on the outside - no wonder it rusts!]

Delorean_roof_box_repair_new_metal_painted_2019.jpg

Since I have a new frame, springs, shocks, etc., we figure the fiberglass tub must be slightly slanted towards the driver's side, which is where the water sits when it gets inside the roof box. Almost zero rust on the passenger's side. Although I was thinking about replacing the whole roof box with a new stainless steel one, I'm glad I went with this cheaper option. It should last another 40 years...

Andy

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Yikes! We all know how quickly the car was pushed into production and maybe long-term testing would have shown rust issues.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Yikes! We all know how quickly the car was pushed into production and maybe long-term testing would have shown rust issues.
    Long-term testing (via us owners) IS showing rust issues...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I found POR15 to be a great product in this job. Followed by Flexseal on the outside.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Followed by Flexseal on the outside.
    Plus, when you're done then your car can also be used as a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Long-term testing (via us owners) IS showing rust issues...
    My bad - I meant to add: long-term testing before production units were sold.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

I’m currently looking at buying a Delorean that is going to need this type of work. I’d be very interested in hearing how much MidWest charged for this, as I would bring it to them for sure. Just want to have an idea of how much this car is gonna cost me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curtis Bateman
    [email protected]
    Virginia
    VIN 4797 Oct 1981

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I found POR15 to be a great product in this job. Followed by Flexseal on the outside.
    i too thought this would be a good product for the outside. instead of all that messing black silicone

My VIN:    6125

I laughed at the flex seal screen door boat thing only to realize that I was the one that posted it a year ago. Thanks past self for the future laugh.

Good news is SS boxes are now available.
    ~LXA~