FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't start after valley job

Can't start after valley job

I took my car back apart to change the water pump, which I eventually got done, and I got my cooling system to hold 15 PSI for 15 minutes and ended the test.
    I re assembled everything and could not get the car to start for anything, I tried all the usual stuff.
    I took the mixture unit back out, checked everything, and put it back together again. Still no start, until today.
    I got it to finally start, it ran for about 2 minutes, and then died out. I couldn't re start it again after that.
    The question I want to ask is about this gurgling sound I get after attempting to start the car.
    In this video if you listen right after each start attempt you will hear it.
    P.S. the smoke in the video is I believe from the exhaust. Like cleaner and stuff that got on there during all the work, just burning away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAw...ature=youtu.be

My VIN:    10201

Have you checked the inertia switch? Mine had a similar issue after a job in the VOD. I never sorted it out properly, but I did notice that the bypass on my inertia switch had melted.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Have you checked the inertia switch? Mine had a similar issue after a job in the VOD. I never sorted it out properly, but I did notice that the bypass on my inertia switch had melted.
    being that it started at least once leads me to think its not that, but I will check..

My VIN:    03572

Make sure you did not forget to connect the vacuum hoses and the pipe of agony is seated.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Before you replaced your water pump was your thermotime time switch operational? Have you checked to see if the cold start valve is spraying fuel?

I'd spray starting fluid directly into the intake and see if it makes a difference. From the sound you are hearing I think you are looking at a fuel delivery problem. Maybe your distributor and/or lines are full of air and you just need to keep trying it and push the air out.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Before you replaced your water pump was your thermotime time switch operational? Have you checked to see if the cold start valve is spraying fuel?

I'd spray starting fluid directly into the intake and see if it makes a difference. From the sound you are hearing I think you are looking at a fuel delivery problem. Maybe your distributor and/or lines are full of air and you just need to keep trying it and push the air out.
    +1
    When your injector lines are dry you need the cold start injector to get the engine started.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

After opening fuel lines, I always prime the pump a few times, then depress the metering flap fully and repeat 3 times to bleed out any air in the fuel distributor and injectors.

After that it starts.

Sounds like the injectors arent fully primed to me.

trust me the lines are primed. I've been trying for days to start it. I even jumpered the relay and let the fuel pump run. I pressed down on the plate to look at the injectors spraying.
    and in the video you can see it ran for a few minutes before it died. after running for a few minutes the cold start valve might not even be of concern if it got warm enough.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It seems that everyone thinks it sounds like it is starving for fuel in the vid, I agree.
    Try short spurts of starting fluid while you crank it over like Nick suggested.

Went back and for the past hour I tried all the suggestions, as well as pulled the cold start valve to check it is working correctly, It is.
    I tried again until I ran the battery out again. Gonna have to put it back on charge.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast