FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: auto trans throttle spool

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

David and Ron, I think there is a discrepency between your 2 posts as to the effect of pulling fuse 10.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    David and Ron, I think there is a discrepency between your 2 posts as to the effect of pulling fuse 10.
    Yeah, looks like we both had a brain fart... Sorry!

Actually, it does go in to 3rd when you pull fuse 13. (The test still works.) It does this, regardless of the shifter's position, because it uses two electrical solenoids to shift with: both on is 1st, one on is 2nd, none on is 3rd. No fuse is brain dead. lol

FWIW, DeLorean's don't really have a limp mode -- A more sophisticated transmission will put itself in 2nd when it sees certain trans errors to prevent damage while you limp it off the road or to a service center. All kinds of posts/warnings about not doing this with a D...

Everything you wanted to know about the Governor Computer (GC) is in the Resource section, HERE.

EDIT: Corrected: fuse "10" to "13".

I thought that fuse #13 was for the automatic transmission. Is fuse #10 also involved?
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

No. You are correct. I was addressing "effects", not the fuse # and missed it. Fixed now.

Fuse #13 (Solid Green) feeds the GC solenoids.

Thanks Ron. I didn't want somebody who ran across the same problem to get on the wrong track. And, you and others have made huge contributions on other threads so that we all understand our automatics better. Thank you.

One thing I have not found, but I think I read at some point, are the shift points in MPH for the 3 speed automatic. The MPH v RPM chart is not that useful and does not show shift points. For example, from that chart you can see that in 1st gear you should expect 4600 RPM at 45 MPH. Well, that is not "normal". My idea is to see under flat, 1-person load conditions, with modest depression of the pedal, the MPH where the shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd occurs in MPH. Getting the RPM would add to this chart as well. There may well be a range for each shift point. For example, my car shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 30 MPH (very reproducibly) but it might be 35 for another car. I still cannot detect when my car goes from 1st to 2nd (so maybe it is starting in 2nd, or, I just can't feel it). Anybody have this information?

On another note, I sense that when I manually go into 1st, the shift lever is not really in a "notch", like it needs to go rearward a little more, but is being held up bu the decorative plate. So, I probably need to adjust the linkage. Park is a little too rearward in my mind, being about 1/2 inch from the edge of the decorative plate. Having the ability to manually start in 1st would help me sort out my issue, but, of course in Drive it should go through the 3 gears anyway.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The shift points vary. Between adjustments and the cr-ppy shift computer they are not consistent between all automatics. It is also difficult to know just when it shifts, you can't always feel it and unless you are watching the RPM's you can't tell. One way to know more precisely is to hook up a light box and when you see the lights change state you know it has shifted.About the fuse #. One of the best features of a forum like this is that it is self-correcting. As noted fuse #10 is for the A/C and # 13 (lucky #) is for the automatic transmission shift computer. Not all transmissions have "Shift Hold" where when you put the gear selector in 2nd it prevents it from shifting into 3rd or 1st will hold it in 1st. You might need a slight adjustment to get yours accurately aligned.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I still cannot detect when my car goes from 1st to 2nd (so maybe it is starting in 2nd, or, I just can't feel it). Anybody have this information?
    I owe ya one...

Click To Enlarge:
    GC Test Light Connections.jpg

The bulbs are the same as used in a D side marker (most any will do).
    You can raise the rear tires off the ground and watch the behavior of the bulbs.
    USE JACK STANDS!

Terminals
    A- Downshift Request
    B- Solenoid
    C- 12V when Key ON (Fuse #13)
    D- Solenoid
    E- Ground

WARNING:
    DO NOT turn what looks like brass nuts/fasteners at terminals A & E.

Pulling Fuse #13 forces 3rd gear.
    Grounding B & D forces 1st gear.
    Grounding A requests a downshift.

Check the harness coming out of the unit above for exhaust system damage (very common) if there is a problem.

=======

Selector and Governor Control Cable Adjustments are in the WS Manual G:05:02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2