FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tips On Buying A DeLorean

Phew! You had me worried there for a second! And thanks for the advice, I'll remember for next time.
    Curtis Bateman
    [email protected]
    Virginia
    VIN 4797 Oct 1981

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by cbateman View Post
    Phew! You had me worried there for a second! And thanks for the advice, I'll remember for next time.
    Michael isnt kidding. Do yourself a favor if you want a car youc an drive worry free, and make that budget a little higher. Yes you MAY find a decent car for 25k, but hey i did the same. I spent 23k, and damn im finally happy with my car, almost another 20-25k later lol. It took a long time and alot of work but you get what you pay for remember that.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Thanks for the advice. I don’t mind a car that needs work, I’d actually prefer that over a decent well maintained Delorean. I’d like to find a car I can make my own, with a healthy refurb budget.
    Curtis Bateman
    [email protected]
    Virginia
    VIN 4797 Oct 1981

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

I would echo the comments about being "proactive". To my mind, you must a) set your priorities as to what you want and B) be ready to travel immediately. I recently saw an 82 auto for sale in Miami. I just made the drive, saw and tested the car, paid, and was gone.

I knew that for me body and frame were the most important. I do not want to deal with dents in a SS body, or a rusty frame. And it needs to start and drive (although not necessarily very well). So knowing that, I could make an assessment and then a decision without a lot of hesitation or needing time to mull it over.

I have spent about $300 on the car. Not much for parts, but, a lot of my time on the mechanics including preventative things like changing all the fluids. But to me that is the fun of the hobby - starting with something that is aesthetically pleasing and putting time into it to take it to the next level cosmetically and mechanically. Each person has to decide where their skill sets reside, the time they can devote, whether they can get help when needed, etc. Then, be willing to travel and strike.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Thanks for the advice. I don’t mind a car that needs work, I’d actually prefer that over a decent well maintained Delorean. I’d like to find a car I can make my own, with a healthy refurb budget.
    To paraphrase an old quote. The difference between a 25k DeLorean and a 30k DeLorean is about 10,000 dollars.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Rules are rules

Without rules, we have chaos
    waiting for the impending thread cleanup / for sale section reminder from the mods.

EDIT: OK, I kept reading and there was actually a lot of good advice that followed.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-27-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I recently saw an 82 auto for sale in Miami. I just made the drive, saw and tested the car, paid, and was gone. I knew that for me body and frame were the most important. I do not want to deal with dents in a SS body, or a rusty frame. And it needs to start and drive (although not necessarily very well).
    Sounds like we’re on the same page for what our priorities are: Good frame, good body, starts under its own power. Regarding that 82 auto you found, how exactly did you come across it? This forum? I’ve got automated searches on eBay, Autotrader, and Hemmings motors. Craigslist is a little harder since you can’t search nationwide. There’s a third party site “AutoTempest” that seems to search every state but I can’t set up an automated search. What’s your advice on using Craigslist for Delorean hunting?
    Curtis Bateman
    [email protected]
    Virginia
    VIN 4797 Oct 1981

My VIN:    Between VINs

I planned to spend $32k and ended up spending $40k, but I do not regret it at all. Not saying you have to over spend your budget to get what you want, but I hit the easy button and have had a positive ownership experience so far.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Sounds like we’re on the same page for what our priorities are: Good frame, good body, starts under its own power. Regarding that 82 auto you found, how exactly did you come across it? This forum? I’ve got automated searches on eBay, Autotrader, and Hemmings motors. Craigslist is a little harder since you can’t search nationwide. There’s a third party site “AutoTempest” that seems to search every state but I can’t set up an automated search. What’s your advice on using Craigslist for Delorean hunting?
    Might want to have a look at CarGurus as well. Right now there are only a handful on there and they're higher priced, but it fluctuates.

I found my car on eBay of all places, but the car had been previously owned by someone here on the forum so I could read pretty well into its history which was a nice luxury.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    "Michael isnt kidding."

It took a long time and alot of work but you get what you pay for remember that.
    Words to live by.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast