FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Remote Electric Water Pump

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Huh?
    Well, the otterstat IS just a temperature controlled switch. It doesn't care about how hot or cold the the coolant is.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To clarify, the "O" switch is just a switch. Once you pass it's setpoint to turn the fans on it cannot sense anything else and conversely once it shuts off it can't sense how cold the coolant is. It is not like the temperature gauge that can continue to sense the temperature. The "O" switch also only controls the fans. It has no effect on anything else. On cars with computers they can use an "O" switch to control other functions like timing if the motor gets too hot. Very simple, dumb system.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    To clarify, the "O" switch is just a switch. Once you pass it's setpoint to turn the fans on it cannot sense anything else and conversely once it shuts off it can't sense how cold the coolant is. It is not like the temperature gauge that can continue to sense the temperature. The "O" switch also only controls the fans. It has no effect on anything else. On cars with computers they can use an "O" switch to control other functions like timing if the motor gets too hot. Very simple, dumb system.
    Dumb, but effective. My car just stupidly drives around in these 100+ degree Florida summer days and somehow manages to effectively control the temperature of the engine with the simple on/off otterstat switch.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3