FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Delorean owner here (VIN 05611) -

My VIN:    5611

New Delorean owner here (VIN 05611) -

Hi all,

My name is Mike. I'm from the Pittsburgh area and new to the Delorean community. After a long time of searching for the right deal, I just purchased an 81' Delorean (5611) last week in Bangor Maine that I luckily found on Craigslist. It even ended up here on barnfinds.com. (https://barnfinds.com/7k-original-miles-1981-delorean/). The frame is in excellent condition. No rust/rot anywhere. The interior is also in great shape, especially the seats. All of the electronics seem to work, windows, lighting, etc. The engine cranks and is not seized. The motor appears to be very clean including hoses, wiring harnesses, etc.

It has been sitting since 2004 due to the owner having health issues. Im currently in the process of replacing all of the fuel related components. I have already drained and cleaned the tank. After replacing the fuel pump hoses i found that the fuel pump is completely seized up. I moved to the engine and drained the oil. After finding gas in the oil, I did a little research which led me to check the plunger on the fuel distributor. It too is completely seized and will not move. At that point, i made a decision to just replace all fuel related items.

I have been throwing around ideas on which route to go as far as the new fuel pump setup. I have seen the new "all in one" fuel pump/sender setups. I have also looked at the stock style replacement pumps with the large rubber boot around the pump. (mine turned to liquid rubber). Any suggestions? I know they supply a new rubber boot made from polyurethane that will resist today's fuel additives.

The deloreanautoparts.com website has grabbed my attention on the master overhaul kits they sell. Too many choices.

-Mike

APRIL 81

My VIN:    952

Congrats! Lancaster, PA here and new owner as well. Looks like you found yourself a solid car. Did you drive by Stephen King's house while you were in Bangor?

My VIN:    5312

just read the comments on that thread on the website. So much typical misinformation, but you know what? Who cares. Let them be ignorant, enjoy the car man its "worth" it
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Mike. Welcome, and congratulations on the car purchase. On the fuel pump set-up, I can tell you that I’m happy with my all in one fuel module from DMC.

A warning to any new owner: do some research here on this forum about John Hervey/ special T auto / deloreanautoparts before spending a dime. Avoid getting drawn in by his lower prices to the exclusion of considering other vendors.

The great thing is you have a variety of good vendors to choose from, like DMC, DeLoreanGo, and PJ Grady.
    I learned to do research on each part before buying.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-30-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10540

Hi Mike,

Congrats on your purchase. Mine sat for a similar amount of time before I got ahold of it. I went with the updated fuel sender module from DMC. Once you get the car running make sure the brake system is good before setting off. I had siezed calipers and collapsed hoses.

My VIN:    5999

Congrats on the Delorean purchase! I am new owner as well, and recently installed the DMC fuel pump/sender combo. No complaints here, other than the fuel gauge needle not all the way to top of the scale on a full tank of gas. It has been suggested that maybe the float is getting hung up on the anti-static wire inside the tank, or that the float arm might need slight tweaking (bending) to read correctly. Learn from my mistake and check this (and make adjustments) before re-filling the tank with gas. You might get lucky, apparently not all members here have had this particular problem with the unit.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Hi Mike,

Welcome to ownership. I hope you drive yours more often than other Pittsburgh owners. I am a little north of the city in Allison Park but I work downtown so you may see me commuting in mine on 28 from time to time.

Josh at Delorean Industries is just east of Akron, OH and is a fantastic resource to have so close if you have needs too big to solve in your garage.

My car has had the DMC Houston all in one fuel pump solution since 2012 and it starts up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZ_DMC View Post
    Congrats! Lancaster, PA here and new owner as well. Looks like you found yourself a solid car. Did you drive by Stephen King's house while you were in Bangor?
    A friend of mine asked me that as well. Lol, no I did not realize he lived there.

Hi all,

Thank you for welcoming me and providing your feedback on the fuel pump kit. This is what I decided to go with. I'm going to be making an additional thread on this but has anyone on here had their warm up regulators or fuel distributors rebuilt by any specific members on here?

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Mike. Welcome, and congratulations on the car purchase. On the fuel pump set-up, I can tell you that I’m happy with my all in one fuel module from DMC.

A warning to any new owner: do some research here on this forum about John Hervey/ special T auto / deloreanautoparts before spending a dime. Avoid getting drawn in by his lower prices to the exclusion of considering other vendors.

The great thing is you have a variety of good vendors to choose from, like DMC, DeLoreanGo, and PJ Grady.
    I learned to do research on each part before buying.
    I was almost victim of this. Its actually exactly why I posted this to see what others had to say. I figured it was junk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast