FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Keeping under the rear louvers clean, looking their best.

Keeping under the rear louvers clean, looking their best.

Under the rear louvers on both sides of the Delorean is two black pieces that are behind glass from the sides of the car. What do you use to make them shine or look new(er)? Mine get dirty after it rains and look weathered.

My VIN:    Midproduction

My VIN:    05457

We are talking about the pontoons correct? I use Aerospace 303, as I do on all my black surfaces.

The high gloss ceramic coating looks interesting. I bet that would keep it nicer longer, but looks permanent. Any pictures of what that looks like applied?
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5312

Very interested in this thread on what everyone is using on the louvres and any of the other black trim pieces. I used to use the back to black but i know there is a better option, there has to be
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I saw someone once cut perfect pieces of carpet to lay in the pontoon area for shows and stuff. Obviously not going to leave it that way all the time, but it was an interesting way to approach making it look better. Don’t forget there are early textured pontoons that can’t be kept perfectly clean vs the majority of the later style smooth pontoons.

My VIN:    6895

Ceramic coating applied to all plastics and the rear lenses and louvres on my car.

High res link here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/af9x1e19x...ZK-eu2Jha?dl=0

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

When I was restoring the car, I painted the pontoons with SEM Trim Black.

First coat:

Second and final coat:

Same for the engine cover:

I also had my louvers professionally painted with SEM Trim Black and a Satin clear coat on top as the shop advised that the bare SEM wouldn't stand up to the rigors of washing, etc.

Now, I just need to use a clean, damp micro-fiber cloth to keep these parts clean and looking their best.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I need to repaint my louvres. I had a bit of pine tree sap that fell on it. What's the best way to do this? lightly sand the louvres, pain with SEM black and them spray with the satin clear coat?
    Shannon

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I need to repaint my louvres. I had a bit of pine tree sap that fell on it. What's the best way to do this? lightly sand the louvres, pain with SEM black and them spray with the satin clear coat?
    I would recommend having a good paint shop do this, but if you want to do it yourself, yes, the normal steps of cleaning/ degreasing, sanding, cleaning again, SEM and then using a compatible coat of satin clear sounds right. I know that SEM flashes pretty quickly, so I wasn't confident trying to paint a big item with a rattle can while avoiding uneven spots and other flaws.

I'll defer to others to comment on the job. I understand Michael knows paint process well.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)