FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner Build

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

$400 is nothing considering we're all driving 40 year old cars - especially since it's a great upgrade.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I have to say, I agree with Josh. If I were to look back at every upgrade I've either made or seen on the market in the last 15 years, I would say that the highest value upgrade is the front LCA brackets. I am still always amazed at the difference when I hop into a car that doesn't have them.
    Replacing my LCAs with the old Peirce SS ones stopped the steering wheel shake I always had around 60 MPH. Now was it the new bushings or the LCAs your guess is as good as mine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10201

I really want to see LCAs with outriggers built in. The self driving dmc had something like that.

When I see the outriggers I can't help but think "run Forrest run!"
    Last edited by mr_maxime; 12-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I really want to see LCAs with outriggers built in. The self driving dmc had something like that.

When I see the outriggers I can't help but think "run Forrest run!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Ive made some concepts, but nothing physically.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/FIhIRfp

DOM / sheetmetal

Billet aluminum

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5999

In addition to the rock solid feeling, another thing I really like about the DPI LCAs is the ability to center the tire in the wheel arch. It doesn't look like you would have that ability with some of these built-in outrigger designs. Although, I realize that using your fender panel fitment to dictate wheel position is probably not scientifically ideal. You could very well end up with one tire significantly farther forward (or behind) than the other, depending on how the symmetrical the two fenders were installed.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Replacing my LCAs with the old Peirce SS ones stopped the steering wheel shake I always had around 60 MPH. Now was it the new bushings or the LCAs your guess is as good as mine.
    The shake would be because of worn parts and/or an out of balance wheel. The LCA is stiff enough that it should not have been the cause of the shake. The worst part of the front suspension design is how the sway bar is also supposed to transmit the braking forces into the frame. The LCA by itself can't handle it and there is no tie bar like in most other double wishbone suspensions. This was Colin Chapman's way to make a part do multiple things to save some weight and "add lightness". He did not over design things and never expected them to live so long.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Before going the route of trying new LCA's and outriggers to solve your steering wheel jitters, try replacing those 10-15 yr. old tires with the newly avaliable Hankooks.

My VIN:    4519

DPI outriggers look pretty good, I saw a set recently. They appear adjustable.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    In addition to the rock solid feeling, another thing I really like about the DPI LCAs is the ability to center the tire in the wheel arch. It doesn't look like you would have that ability with some of these built-in outrigger designs. Although, I realize that using your fender panel fitment to dictate wheel position is probably not scientifically ideal. You could very well end up with one tire significantly farther forward (or behind) than the other, depending on how the symmetrical the two fenders were installed.
    The only thing centering the wheel in the well is the sway bar. And it does a poor job of it. Other factors come into play like the actual alignment of the fender to the underbody. The ride height of your car will make any mis-alignment even more noticeable.

All LCA offerings are the stock design, just made of different materials. They offer no performance upgrade what so ever other than they are less likely to fail, and this is what sets them apart from each other. All the mounting points are in the same place. if the car feels more solid with just a new set of LCAs and no outriggers it is because your bushings and/or ball joints in the previous arms were worn out.

Im not trying to push any product of mine, in fact i hope a vendor makes a A-arm style LCA so I can just buy a set easily and not bother fabricating them. There have been promises over the years. I am currently running the DPI LCAs. I have the current aluminum version, I have run their stainless arms in the past. I have also run boxed stock arms. All had excessive vibrations before I installed outriggers. All cars are different, of course alignment and tire condition will also play into a steering wheel vibration. It seems like all Deloreans have a vibration to some extent unfortunately.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-18-2020 at 10:16 AM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

It would be nice if a mod could split this out into its own thread so we are not cluttering up Nicks!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast