FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to fill A/C system; blows hot air and high side has low pressure

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If your gauges were backwards, it would make sense for them to read as they do with the charge you put into it. Today (at 80F) you would expect the high side to show 145-190 psi and the Low side 25-32 psi when the compressor cuts OFF, on a stock system w/R12. As David said, 134a pressures are higher and [sometimes] you need to adjust the pressure switch. And it looks like you have about 20psi on the low side, which means your compressor would cut out late. The two could explain the high high pressure.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw your last post, if it is 350 psi now, something else is going on!

Is the receiver dryer/accumulator getting cold?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I finally just traced the hoses from the compressor, given that the driver's side one goes to the condenser and would be the low pressure side.
    Basic Hose Routing:
    HL2.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Double check that the hot water valve is getting vacuum to turn off. After two years I got to mine this summer and found that my vacuum line wasn't holding.

My .02
    Dave B.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    More likely I’m very bad at gauging how much the cans weigh full vs empty, or that something was leaking. I certainly vented some refrigerant when disconnecting my side can tap, but my understanding is that that is normal. No cans have exploded on me, so that’s good.

Also, both of my hoses are the same diameter, so I don't have a good way to tell by sight. I finally just traced the hoses from the compressor, given that the driver's side one goes to the condenser and would be the low pressure side. The way the hoses cross each other at the compressor threw me for a bit, and it's easy to miss that in the parts manual diagram as well.

I’m at the car now with the engine running and have 40 PSI on the low side and 350 PSI on the high side (it’s 78 degrees ambient). The compressor has been running the entire time, and the vents are still blowing hot air. It was still going up when I turned the car, so now I’m guessing that I’ve overfilled it? Still Dortmund explain the hot air, though...

Thanks!

— Joe
    Are your running a standard orifice or the variable one?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I'm just really good at getting myself confused with A/C hose routing, apparently.

At the very least, swapping the manifold hoses made the pressure readings make more sense.

Here's a better picture of how the hoses are connected to the accumulator. The "H" marking is irrelevant, and is because I thought that was the high side. I'm still trying to decide if I swapped the actually A/C lines or not.

IMG_1759.jpg

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Are your running a standard orifice or the variable one?
    Standard, I believe.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Is the receiver dryer/accumulator getting cold?
    It is not -- in fact, it's extremely hot, and hard to hold onto for more than a second or so. The pipe that runs across the front of it is cold, but the accumulator itself is very hot.

-- Joe

Oh, here are the gauges right after turning the car on:

IMG_1757.jpg

And after a few minutes of running (I forgot to time it; I shut it off rather than waiting to see where it stopped at):

IMG_1760.jpg

This was for my test of the accumulator temperature, so it's a reading I just took.

-- Joe

My VIN:    03572

My bet is you have the orifice in the pipe leaving the accumulator. If that is even possible. I say that because your compressor is working but your getting hot air from the evaporator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I don't think I do -- I made sure to install it in the pipe where the original one was located. Of course, the only way to be sure is to remove the accumulator, I guess.

Before I do that, anything else I can look at?

-- Joe

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast