FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd things found as I learn about 10342

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Odd things found as I learn about 10342

Today I found a connector that was not connected to anything, at the mid-right firewall, passenger side. I then found what I believe to be what was supposed to plug in it, except it had been spilt/gnarled. See below. The left side (female) has a black wire that connects to a tubular capacitor (I believe), whose other wire disappears into a loom headed towards the driver's side near the firewall. That same left connector has pure red wire that disappears into the loom as well. On the right side (male) there are 2 identical wires connected to the same pin at the bottom of the connector which are black with a blue stripe (it seems green in the pic but it is blue). The top of the connector has a black wire, which connects to the black wire on the female part of the connector. These three all seem to run down the front of the engine and connect to something on the right of the front of engine about 1/2 way down. I cannot see this very well.

I have tried to find these in my diagrams but I am not pulling it together. Based on where the wires went, it is not the few places where I see a BU wire in the wiring diagrams. I did notice that after I made this connection, for the first time I could feel the car shift from 1st to 2nd gear (its an automatic, and I never felt it before, and was wondering if I was starting in 2nd). Anyway, could be a coincidence.

Does anyone know what these wires are for? It would be great to have an annotated view of the front part of the engine that is nearly impossible for us to normally see. Where each wire and hose goes, for manual and automatic. If I ever see one out of a car I will do that.

I have several other oddities (to me) that I will be posting over the next few days which I have found.
    Attached Images
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Black/Blue is Vacuum Solenoid #146 & Idle Speed Micro Switch #151. (WS Schematic)
    They do go to the Red (capacitor).

I also found the same connector disconnected. Solid black and solid red on one side. On the other side there is a green/white and the other is unknown...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

That connector still is somewhat of a mystery to me. Thanks Ron. Just be clear, this is not the capacitor near the middle of the engine, close to the throttle linkage. Rather, it is up against the firewall, running laterally parallel to the wire loom. The black wire from the connector goes to this cap, then a red wire from the cap goes into the loom. A red wire emerges from the loom and connects to the other pin of the connector which flows to the male side with the 2 BU (or is it UB) wires.

It is here (sorry it is turned sideways):
    Attached Images
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Black with Blue stripe = B/U = BU
    The vacuum solenoid has a (G)reen wire and a BU wire. You can disconnect it and confirm there is continuity from that BU wire to the BU wire at the plug in question (which aligns with the (R)ed wire).

Yep that was it.

Now to the next :

The thermostat housing looked like a slightly different shape to me than my previous cars. When I took a second look, I noticed that instead of a bleeder there was a solid bolt instead. The size of this bolt is a good bit smaller than stock (which is 10 mm). It turns out to be 5/16" x 20. Not 8 mm, but 5/16th inch bolt threat (not NPT). I cannot find anywhere a nipple or barb with a 5/16 X 20 thread, which I would use for the usual permanent bleeder hose setup. In fact, I really cannot bleed it manually very well as it is.

Does anyone know of a source for a barb/nipple/hose fitting with this thread? I have been through compressor fittings, gas, brake lines, etc, but cannot find 5/16 x 20. And, what do you think this housing is from. I assume some P R or V engine.
    Attached Images
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bolt

If the thread is SAE it's probably a hack
    job. Could it be rethreaded to a metric size?

My VIN:    10270

Definitely a PO hack!

It'll probably never be a bleeder again as the tapered seat is likely drilled away. Might best be replaced with a barb using the next size up NPT or something similar, and a hose added in the typical permanent bleeder hose arrangement.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Probably. I was hoping an expert in threads and hose barbs knew a solution that did not involve resizing. Also could buy a housing from DMCH. I assume on their new housing that the thread sizing is the same as original.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Note that the 5/16 is SMALLER that the 10 mm stock, so rather than a "hack" on the original part, I think it is a part off of a related engine. Make sense?
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast