FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tips On Buying A DeLorean

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The real problem here is that you must educate yourself so you don't pay $25K for a car worth $10K and when you see one for $25K that is worth $30K you can recognize it. Or get someone who can help you value the car BEFORE you buy it. Never buy and spend more than you can afford, you will regret it when you don't have anything left to spend on it to fix the inevitable things that will happen to an old car. Always buy the best car you CAN afford, it is cheaper in the end. Expect to spend money on the car during at least the first year of ownership to get things the way you want them to be. For instance tires, struts, fluids, filters, tune-up, and some cosmetic stuff. Don't forget fees like Title, plates, insurance, and sales tax. You do need to go into this with a budget but don't think you will buy a beater for $10K and spend $15K and now you have a car that is worth $25K. To make that $10K car worth $25K will take more than $15K. Especially if you don't do the majority of the work yourself. This applies to any classic car, not just Deloreans.
    David Teitelbaum

Another thing you can do is check with the DMC vendors out there to see what they might have for sale not on their websites. That's how I found my car at DMC Midwest. Odds are their prices will be much higher than 25-30K, but you typically get what you pay for with these cars. The vendors do sell project cars sometimes all the way to concours quality cars and everything in between. Might be worth a shot to give a few a call and see what they have.

Another thing you need to decide is what features are important to you. Do you want a manual or auto? Gray, black or two-tone interior? Gas flap hood, grooved hood or flat hood? Do you like your antenna in the windshield, mounted on the fender or a power one that folds down and is hidden? Do you prefer the dark gray or light gray wheels? Do yourself a favor and purchase the DeLorean Buyer's Guide by James Espey. Great resource, and you will notice that while these cars did not change a ton during production (styling remained same) many minor running changes were made throughout the production. I scratched the surface with what I listed above. Happy hunting, but do as much research as you can on the front end!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Whatever car you end up with, make darn sure the roofbox has been addressed. It is becoming more and more of an issue and anyone that claims theirs is 'fine' without having physically checked is is delusional. 40 years of door stress on rusting steel is a recipe for disaster. Any water that gets past the upper door/T panel seals (and it does, that's one why there is also an inner door seal) can keep the hinges and sides of the roof box wet. Wind driven water goes up the windshield and can go under the upper finisher to the roofbox area. The epoxy joint between the roofbox and the body chassis starts to come apart...... 40 years..... Make sure it has been screwed/bolted and make sure the entire roof box has been inspected/treated and new seals applied or YOU will be having the fun of doing so.

Most everyone looking for a Delorean is well aware of K-Jet joys, the things to watch for with the frame, trailing arm bolts, electrical challenges and under engineered front suspension, but the roof box is becoming the new elephant in the room of maintenance that MUST be addressed sooner rather than later.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

8<
    When you get that car that "spins freely" and you realize just how much time and time money it will take to make a DeLorean that has sat for 30 years not just drivable but dependable, remember you could have been driving and enjoying your car from day one.

8<
    You think injectors and lines will be the end of it? Nooooo my friend, look at rebuilding the entire fuel system for starters, then hope there is nothing major wrong with the engine internals, cooling system is no doubt trashed, electrical gremlins always surface later, then let's not forget about shocks will most likely need replacing along with almost every rubber bushing, tires, brake pads are probably crystalized, calipers need rebuilt, jeez I could go on for days. In short bringing a DeLorean to life that has sat for 30 years could go very easy(if properly put into storage) or could be very expensive and laborious. Most are the latter.
    Don't let a few hundred miles and/or the cost of freight deter you from a nice sorted out car vs. one that has sat for 3 decades.
    8<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2