FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing Window Switches

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JtBosman1979 View Post
    Hello,

has anyone had any trouble with a connector causing a short and blowing the 30 amp fuse? I just hit the window switch to roll down my window today and it blew the 30 amp fuse. I took out the switch and its pretty melted. Wondering if that's my problem. WIth the window switch out, it doesn't blow the fuse.

Sorry if this highjacking this thread, but not sure where to ask about it.

Thanks,

Josh
    Is the switch an original or who's new one? You can plug the other window switch into the bad side and see if the window motor is still working.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4328

My passenger window switch doesn't 'stop' trying to roll up the window when you press it. If you hold it down for a second past where the window stops going up it starts to click loudly in the door until you stop pressing the switch. Is this a switch going bad? It happens if your resting your elbow on the center console and accidently bump the switch also, scaring the crap outta the passenger

My mistake, I said switch on my original post but meant the switch connector. My switches say on them delorean.com and are relatively new, not original, and look fine. It's the white switch connector for the driver side window is melted and looking pretty sad. I think maybe the connector just got so warped the plastic melted enough to allow two wires to connect and cause a short.

Man, I just love this car and the help everyone provides, there is not a better car in the world with such a great group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoot View Post
    My passenger window switch doesn't 'stop' trying to roll up the window when you press it. If you hold it down for a second past where the window stops going up it starts to click loudly in the door until you stop pressing the switch. Is this a switch going bad? It happens if your resting your elbow on the center console and accidently bump the switch also, scaring the crap outta the passenger
    There is no automatic shut off on the windows. You have to release the switch when the window has stopped moving. I could design one that would sense the electrical current change but I would guess few people would spend money for something not really needed. It would not be cheap since it would need current detection and MOSFET drivers.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Like bitsynmaster says, the windows in the Delorean don't automatically stop like newer cars. That said, if you hold the switch down and force the window hard against the stop (up or down) till it clicks, you will damage the window regulator, especially the OEM one with the tube. If you watch the outside of the door you will actually see the S/S bulge outwards when the window gets all the way down where the regulator moves against the door panel inside the door. Actually, creating an automatic shut off is probably a good investment, cheaper than replacing the window regulators! Maybe something like the Central Locking System for the doors so you can control both windows together. Someone (I forget who) sells a small "U" shaped plastic strip you can place over the switches so you don't accidentally bump them on. Usually it's the Defrost switch and you don't realize it till you see the little light on in the center console (if it isn't burnt out).
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4328

My driver side window does not continue to try and run the motor once it has reached it's fully up or down position, but the passenger side does. The switches also go in different directions for the up/down so someone has changed or messed with one or the other

My driver side window does not continue to try and run the motor once it has reached it's fully up or down position, but the passenger side does. The switches also go in different directions for the up/down so someone has changed or messed with one or the other
    Your probably just stalling the motor and the lift mechanics are not slipping. Not a good thing to keep it stalled with power on.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2