FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hood Release Cable Question

Hood Release Cable Question

Hello All.....I just purchased a new hood release cable and I'm trying to install it. The part that attaches inside the hood seems pretty straight forward with a metal ball on the end of it to attach to the latch mechanism. But the part that attaches to the handle inside under the dash is just braided cable with no way that I can see to attach it to the handle. Any suggestions? I just purchased the car and the cable under the dash was all frayed and had to be opened previously by yanking on the frayed cable with pliers so I don't know what a working attached cable should look like.

I was thinking of just wrapping the new braided cable around the handle and securing it with metal weights and pliers like on fishing line or something.

Please help...thanks!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Should be a hole for a bolt to go through in the handle body. Mine used a few washers to crush the cable down between with a bolt and a nut.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Is the T-handle lever still present?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

You should have this bracket: https://store.delorean.com/p-9582-ho...e-bracket.aspx

And the handle/lever pivots at the top with the end of the cable pinched in the other hole with a nut/washer combo. The cable 'sheath' gets secured to this bracket in that little portion that juts out. When you pull the handle, it pivots and pulls the cable but not the sheath, which then pulls on the far end you have connected to the release mechanism in the frunk.

Old picture here, but still helpful a little I hope:

IMG_3489.jpg

And seeing how rusty my bracket is and that the new ones are only $25, might just have to get a replacement myself...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Maybe use a HD Terminal end like this emergency cable?
    http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1248&d=1308462146

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Very common for the cable to break right where it is captured by the bolt. Every time you pull the handle you bend the cable right there in that one spot over and over. Add a "back-up" cable. You can make one up or all of the vendors have them.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Or add a remote opener and use the cable as backup.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    16355

Back Up Engine Cable

Good time to also install a back up engine cable for when the day comes.