FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - AT THEATERS THIS WEEKEND & ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Steering Wheel Question

My VIN:    10541

Steering Wheel Question

Hello All,

Jared with Vin #10541 here. I know I'm late to the party in asking this question, but as I'm updating the interior and fixing things in the car, most recently the cracked binnacle, I cant help but admire those gorgeous modern steering wheels with the DMC logo. Heck I even like the look of the original with the replacement center steering wheel pads. Unfortunately I cant find the modern steering wheel anywhere and like the replacement steering wheel pad with logo, DMC Houston has been out of stock for some time and doesnt seem to be selling them anymore.

So I guess simply put, are there any other options to get ahold of these items that I'm not seeing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
    Jared Dellapietro

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Here’s a knockoff, but you would still need an adapter to use it: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122259631149
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    Modifications done to my car can be seen in this video: https://youtu.be/ncMjW2pI2e4

Back to the Omnipresent! Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    2329

Mine is similar to the previous poster's. Momo knock off. The chrome plated plastic is crap, but the wheel itself and the leather are nice. As you can see, I totally replaced the center with custom wood work and a DMC hub center. You will need an adapter from DMCH. The slightly smaller wheel fits the car look better than stock. The downside is that depending on how you sit and how you tilt the steering column it can block gauges. It makes it a little harder to turn at slow speed too, but feels nice! Before and after shown.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    Tour the country and visit breweries through the eyes of our two puppy dogs. http://www.twobrewdogs.com
    Help us spread the word! @twobrewdogs on Twitter, twobrewdogs on Facebook.

My VIN:    5999

I just bought a center pad with the logo from DMCH last month. It was on backorder, so I had to wait a few weeks, but they got a new shipment in. Hard to believe they are already sold out. You might want to call them on the phone and talk to somebody, even though the website says they are out of stock.

My VIN:    5999

BTW, who did you use to refurbish your binnacle? I need to get that done too.

My VIN:    10541

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take a look and see if I can find an adaptor, thus far I've had no luck. I'll also give DMC Houston a call on the steering wheel pad, great advice.

As for my binnacle, I took a leap of faith and did it myself. I like the idea of the leather wrap, but have heard the horror stories of how hard the wrap is to get on the binnacle. Also, that things a pain in the butt to get out. It had a large crack down the center, so I just got sanding blocks, bondo, and paint, and went to town. Figured I couldnt get it worse than what it already was, and I hate covering with regular covers just because of the crack. I started by taping off and covering the car interior with plastic. Then I sanded the binnacle down with a 180 grit sanding block. Then I filled in the crack with bondo using a spreader, and sanded it multiple times until the transition was seamless from the binnacle, to the bondo, to the binnacle again. Finally, I used a textured black spray paint and gave it 3 coats and the crack disappeared. I'm really happy with how it came out as it looks way better than what it did.
    To me it looks as good as its gonna get without getting a new binnacle which they no longer have, or paying someone hundreds upon hundreds to try and repair it. I tried to attach an image below of the finished project, so hopefully it worked, but it may have come out upside down....my bad.

Very Respectfully,
    Jared

20190713_202457.jpg

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

This is exactly what I did except I removed the binnacle to do it. Looked GREAT for a while but the crack came back. Because of the different materials with differing coefficients of expansion, the crack returned. Maybe if I used more flexible stuff like they use on bumper covers it might last longer. That binnacle can get really hot when you park the car in the sun, especially if it is black! My "trick" when I painted it was to hold the spray can far away so when the paint hit the binnacle it landed "dry" and gave me a textured look that was almost as good as the original.
    David Teitelbaum