FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: BTTF3 Hoodbox - need help

BTTF3 Hoodbox - need help

Im creating 3d model of bttf3 hood box and i can't find manufacturer or good photos of thing between sola transformer and gold capacitors. Does anyone know something about it?
    Attached Images

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Hard to make out but those look like vacuum tubes. If you were born after 1990 then you probably have never seen one. They are cheap and all over ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hard to make out but those look like vacuum tubes. If you were born after 1990 then you probably have never seen one. They are cheap and all over ebay.
    No no, not vacuum tubes, im talking about some black thing that looks similar to rowan contactors which are located on delorean dashboard
    Attached Images

My VIN:    6125

The parts you are referring to are in fact contactors. Not the same as the red rowan contactors on the dash, but similar.

What is the reason you're building a hood box CAD model in the first place? Without having all of the parts in front of you to measure it's going to be a nightmare clusterfuck of a project. How concerned with accuracy are you? Unless you're just making a general mockup of the parts and are not worried about the finer details I can't think of a single more difficult BTTF related CAD to model to create. It's the ultimate jigsaw puzzle of randomly placed crap in a wood box.

A couple years back I was involved with a small team guys and we did exactly what you are setting out to do. Accuracy was our main goal so we first built a real hood box with all the screen accurate parts. Even then, having all the right stuff in front of our faces it still took over a year to complete the CAD model. The inside of every vacuum tube, the wires going everywhere. All of the perforated mesh stands with the the holes cut and bent in the correct locations as the screen used hoodbox. The pepsi stencils and matching the wood grain pattern. The goddamn belt buckles. I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it.

This is about the highest resolution screen grab that I can post, and probably shouldn't even be posting in the first place, but what the hell. Why, why on earth would you want to model this thing? I hope someone is either paying you handsomely for your time, or this is just a fun side project.

My VIN:    03500

He wants a challenge. My guess.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 07-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The parts you are referring to are in fact contactors. Not the same as the red rowan contactors on the dash, but similar.

What is the reason you're building a hood box CAD model in the first place? Without having all of the parts in front of you to measure it's going to be a nightmare clusterfuck of a project. How concerned with accuracy are you? Unless you're just making a general mockup of the parts and are not worried about the finer details I can't think of a single more difficult BTTF related CAD to model to create. It's the ultimate jigsaw puzzle of randomly placed crap in a wood box.

A couple years back I was involved with a small team guys and we did exactly what you are setting out to do. Accuracy was our main goal so we first built a real hood box with all the screen accurate parts. Even then, having all the right stuff in front of our faces it still took over a year to complete the CAD model. The inside of every vacuum tube, the wires going everywhere. All of the perforated mesh stands with the the holes cut and bent in the correct locations as the screen used hoodbox. The pepsi stencils and matching the wood grain pattern. The goddamn belt buckles. I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it.

This is about the highest resolution screen grab that I can post, and probably shouldn't even be posting in the first place, but what the hell. Why, why on earth would you want to model this thing? I hope someone is either paying you handsomely for your time, or this is just a fun side project.

Im creating delorean model for free in 3ds max as modification for game, so im bother about accuracy, but not as main goal, it shouldnt be 100% accurate. So is there any way to get some high resolution pictures of your hoodbox or at least contactor photo, please.

My VIN:    6125

Nice looking model so far! The screen used Part III off road car has one of our hood boxes on it so if you haven't already seen this website it has some good photos that can be used for reference.

http://www.bttf3delorean.com/Which_car_is_this.html

there are a lot more photos of this car posted elsewhere that show additional hood box details.

I don't own the property rights to the CAD so I can't really provide any other screen grabs of the model. Somewhere I think I have info on the contactors though. Brand and part number, etc. They are more common than the Rowan Control contactors found on the dash and they pop up on ebay from time to time. I'll look and see if I have saved any photos or have more info I can share.

General Electric-CR306DO

After long searching i finally found this one on Ebay, im not sure if this right model but this one looks really similar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERAL-ELE...IAAOSwwPRb~DmD

That looks good! If you look at this shot, you can see the same tapered angle on the top piece.

https://i.imgur.com/IMqzoMT.png