FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Valuation - DeLorean is "one of the hottest collector cars"

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Delorean been sitting since 1984 went for 44,600.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17558449016...mis&media=COPY

Dave B.
    Damn still has Renault drive belts.

I really need to up my insurance coverage.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    6125

Dave B.
    With how the market has slowed down, I wonder if 44,600 was a good buy or not.

It's going to need a ton of money invested to make it a reliable car again, but cosmetically there is a good car under all that dirt and grime.

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Dave B.

Wow, I'd have sold mine for less than that and it runs. I'm genuinely puzzled how these cars have managed to appreciate as much as they have in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Wow, I'd have sold mine for less than that and it runs. I'm genuinely puzzled how these cars have managed to appreciate as much as they have in recent years.
    I think this can be said of a lot of cars...look at Broncos, Wagoneers, 1980 Mercedes SL, etc. I don't get it either.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Supply and demand. DeLorean is special for the obvious reasons and now that some are at an age where they can acquire a dream car - $ move upwards. That plus a new generation of enthusiasts and vendors providing extensive support to keep them on the road. With the engine options, stainless frames, etc... that makes someone like me excited for my car but also give me the drive to own a second one.

In 2000-2005, 1970 cudas were selling at B.J. and other places for $200K+. Look at the values today. I predict many muscle cars from a certain era will drop drastically over the next decade as the new generation interest in those vehicles is not there. They want Teslas and the latest automotive tech.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    I think this can be said of a lot of cars...look at Broncos, Wagoneers, 1980 Mercedes SL, etc. I don't get it either.
    A lot of it is inflation. Print trillions of dollars and the value of them goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Supply and demand. DeLorean is special for the obvious reasons and now that some are at an age where they can acquire a dream car - $ move upwards. That plus a new generation of enthusiasts and vendors providing extensive support to keep them on the road. With the engine options, stainless frames, etc... that makes someone like me excited for my car but also give me the drive to own a second one.

In 2000-2005, 1970 cudas were selling at B.J. and other places for $200K+. Look at the values today. I predict many muscle cars from a certain era will drop drastically over the next decade as the new generation interest in those vehicles is not there. They want Teslas and the latest automotive tech.
    I agree with this comment. When a generation has disposable income and want to acquire a dream car they will create demand on cars from their generation. After that generation starts to age out and sell their cars the demand goes down and the prices. However, some cars will transcend generational interests and always be considered collectable. Will the Delorean be one of these cars? TBD...

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    I agree with this comment. When a generation has disposable income and want to acquire a dream car they will create demand on cars from their generation. After that generation starts to age out and sell their cars the demand goes down and the prices. However, some cars will transcend generational interests and always be considered collectable. Will the Delorean be one of these cars? TBD...
    I expected most new owners to be in their late thirties or in their forties, but there are several i know of that are in their early 20s... Not the majority for sure, but i think it shows that this car and its attraction has the potential to transcend as you say.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    I expected most new owners to be in their late thirties or in their forties, but there are several i know of that are in their early 20s... Not the majority for sure, but i think it shows that this car and its attraction has the potential to transcend as you say.
    I bought mine when I was 24 years old, but that was 15 years ago when average prices were in the mid-teens to twenties. Not sure if I would have bought one back then if the prices were equivalent to what they are today.

On a related note, this one sold for 72k
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-27/

And this was was listed a couple days ago, and is already at 40k. Looks like a really nice one that will bring the money.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...an-dmc-12-100/

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    I'm in my early thirties, I think.. I looked at this thread and I realize I'm the customer and not the dealer. I was sold the dream, and I'm cool with that. I have no delusions of selling this car, and I'm not sure I would want to.

Still fascinating/fun to talk about the price. I have no predictions on which way it will go, but as far as supply/demand, I think there are at least two facts that are true:

The car's appearance is timeless.
    The stock is limited and only going down.

Just look at synthwave revival / vaporwave and 80s nostalgia. People are nostalgic for an era they didn't even live in.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast