FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Valuation - DeLorean is "one of the hottest collector cars"

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Sept. 2021 D valuation update. Way up.

Hagerty recently released their Sept. 2021 collector car valuations.

Less than 2 years since Mark D's valuation posting (inserted below this latest graph) a Condition #2 '81 DMC-12's value has increased over 30%, from $45.5K to $60.8K.

Condition #3-4 car values increased at least 25% over that time, now showing at $40.4K and $26.2K, respectively.

And most Ds have doubled in value since 2015 regardless of condition.

Make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It's encouraging to see sales prices continue to rise. I check Hagerty every once in a while to see what the "official" valuations are, if you can call them that. Here's the latest for Jan 2020:

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    15275

spectacular!!!!!!!

good news for us owners... but where are the 5k cars that everyone says they can buy?? lmao

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Perspective!

The values of D's have been in a ditch for a long time now. As oft-repeated, the transition from most first gen owners happened about 20 years ago and the cars subsequently changed hands frequently, which served to depress values. Now that there's an international age group that desires the car, we can expect some appreciation, especially given a thriving export market. What appears to be a big jump is really just long overdue. It's far from crazy -- for now.

My VIN:    5757

This car has been criminally undervalued. It's rare, unique, has movie-star cache and is generally the most photographed car at cruise night.

My VIN:    6125

The latest numbers from Hagerty are up:

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The latest numbers from Hagerty are up:

Sigh. Accurate as far as it goes, but my opinion is that this is trying to shoehorn DeLoreans into their model - we can't overly fault that, they are after all an insurance company, and
    have to use something for underwriting. But still, how many Concours cars did you see for sale in 2021? I saw maybe 2 that might qualify (out of 100 or so publicly listed, and maybe
    200 total US sales). I do imagine there's a lot out there in collections though. The strong preference in recent years of course is to modernized cars with updates, which are decidedly
    (and wisely non-stock).

As for the "fair" cars, I wonder how they came to this value. Certainly there are many private transactions on very rough cars that are less than this, but who knows. The cheapest
    car I know of right now at BHCC is a non-runner at $35K.

Then of course we have Time Machines ($180K and $!50K for recent sales) and other outliers like the Kia stinger car.

I think it's also worth pointing out that these are sale prices; they aren't necessarily replacement costs - and in reference to a recent thread, what you'd need to pay to replace
    a given car.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

This REALLY makes me want to sell my car and get into a used Lamborghini Gallardo, or just upgrade my Cybertruck to the tri motor version!

DeLoreans really are better than gold!!

gold_2_year_o_usd_x.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 01-04-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This REALLY makes me want to sell my car and get into a used Lamborghini Gallardo, or just upgrade my Cybertruck to the tri motor version!

DeLoreans really are better than gold!!

gold_2_year_o_usd_x.jpg
    That 200K+ Kia-swap car certainly didn't hurt the market. I would buy car at the right price. (auto?)
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Sigh. Accurate as far as it goes, but my opinion is that this is trying to shoehorn DeLoreans into their model - we can't overly fault that, they are after all an insurance company, and
    have to use something for underwriting. But still, how many Concours cars did you see for sale in 2021? I saw maybe 2 that might qualify (out of 100 or so publicly listed, and maybe
    200 total US sales). I do imagine there's a lot out there in collections though. The strong preference in recent years of course is to modernized cars with updates, which are decidedly
    (and wisely non-stock).

As for the "fair" cars, I wonder how they came to this value. Certainly there are many private transactions on very rough cars that are less than this, but who knows. The cheapest
    car I know of right now at BHCC is a non-runner at $35K.

Then of course we have Time Machines ($180K and $!50K for recent sales) and other outliers like the Kia stinger car.

I think it's also worth pointing out that these are sale prices; they aren't necessarily replacement costs - and in reference to a recent thread, what you'd need to pay to replace
    a given car.
    I think there are very few Concours cars. When you say there are a lot in collections, I suggest they don’t run. We all know if a Delorean sits for a couple years, it probably doesn’t run. I don’t believe you can call it concours unless it runs.

I think I would call my car “good”, but when I compare it to cars for sale, I have to believe it would sell for 50K.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast