FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Valuation - DeLorean is "one of the hottest collector cars"

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Article talks about prices rising then ends the article with this.

More recently, and much closer to reality, a 1981 DMC-12 sold for $23,100 at RM Sotheby’s Auburn Spring Auction in May."

That's the price of a Honda Civic.
    I think that sentence was eluding to the previous statement that someone paid $541,000 for a BTTF survivor car. You do see a lot of cars listed for sale in the high 30s and 40s. I would expect those to be excellent cars. Check out the completed listing on eBay. gives you a good idea of what cars actually sell for. a running and driving car with issues is probably in the low 20s, maybe that car was one of those.
    Last edited by andyo; 08-01-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    You do see a lot of cars listed for sale in the high 30s and 40s. I would expect those to be excellent cars.
    Earlier today an EBay auction ended on a DeLorean that sold for $35,000. It was far from excellent. Very good, maybe. It had lots of minor issues: torn door seals, cracked windshield, faded louvres, etc. Auction stared at $500, no reserve. Frankly I didn’t think it would get into the high twenty’s. Perhaps there is indeed an upward trend in price.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

The ones that are in the market to buy a DeLorean are not quite ready to admit the upswing. That's fine, you can continue to sit back and watch others make their dreams come true while you reminisce about the days when gas was 1.25 a gallon and a moon pie was a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The ones that are in the market to buy a DeLorean are not quite ready to admit the upswing. That's fine, you can continue to sit back and watch others make their dreams come true while you reminisce about the days when gas was 1.25 a gallon and a moon pie was a quarter.
    Moon pies are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    4519

This seems like a good time to revive the "finance/don't finance" debate, as well as: "are 2015 DeLorean prices leading to a bubble?" I think we all know the answers now....

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?78...l=1#post206376

I can recall a few discussions where some of us speculated the DeLorean would appreciate at a % rate higher than a lending interest rate, and/or the personal savings rate for those who were "saving up." I encouraged perspective buyers to finance if their monthly savings was < or = to a loan payment. The basic rules of economics were applicable all day when I decided on both of my DeLorean purchases and they worked out well.

I also recall my thought process when I overpaid a few K for VIN 4728 in 2015: I expected the value would "catch up" within a year or two (it did,) I'd be well in the black soon enough (I am,) and I might not get another chance to buy a running 5-speed/solid frame/<$20K (I've seen a few, but they sold faster than I could respond.)

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Article talks about prices rising then ends the article with this.

More recently, and much closer to reality, a 1981 DMC-12 sold for $23,100 at RM Sotheby’s Auburn Spring Auction in May."

That's the price of a Honda Civic.
    Hahaha, I had a lot of coworkers in the past think I made a LOT more money with 6 figure salary cause I owned a Delorean. I told several of them that mine cost less than a brand new civic.

My VIN:    Between VINs

I financed mine. No regrets. I think if I sold it now I'd easily get my buy-in and interest cost back. Probably wouldn't get the $8k I sunk on a new clutch and HVAC system in the first year, though. If cars in my condition start fetching over $50k (I paid $39.5k for a very nice example at the end of 2017) then I'd start realistically looking at the market and arranging priorities.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

While values are indeed going up, unless the quality of the 'driveability' also goes up, it is simply an inflationary bubble that will pop as people realize they STILL need to pour money into them as K-jet service gets more and more scarce and expensive, as heretofore roof box maintenance neglect comes home to roost, as hard to find trim pieces climb and climb in price, frames rot......

I'm not saying increasing prices are a bad thing at all (I know, I sold and have no more skin in the game) but I think people are deluding themselves that the higher prices are justified simply because it's been 'serviced' by DMCH or affiliate. A better car deserves a higher price. A run of the mill car should not appreciate at the same rate. Buyer beware.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I don't see my car as an investment. More like an obsession in a murder mobile I have an nostalgic connection to.

That said...these cars HAVE gone up in price over the years. My crappy painted car with a junk clutch would net $15-20k today minimum.

Now? I have a good chance to get $30k+ even in its frankly still shitty state.

That said...if you are on this forum...and you care more about the VALUE of the car...then you really should just go away.

Thank you all for your perspectives! Its very interesting to see the different points of view on this subject. I confess that i have been one of those who has hovered around the idea of buying a car, with a couple missed opportunities in the past under my belt... I do regret those, but at the time i wasn’t really in a good position. Now that i make enough to really afford it, I’m up against all the other people my age who also make enough, which is a large part of why the values are up. In my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast