FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump failure?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Finally got it secured. Of course, now the electrical connector doesn’t want to latch securely. Might have to replace it. But the car starts and the sender appears to be working, so that’s good.

Thanks again!

— Joe

Replaced the connector on the wiring harness and everything is good to go. As predicated, the access cover won't fit due to the way I have the fuel lines oriented, but that's something to worry about some other time.

Thanks again!

-- Joe

Good to hear.

What’s the blue zip tie doing on your fuel connector?

That was just to help me remember which line was fuel vs return. I didn't have a green zip tie for the other one. I guess they're different sizes, though, so I couldn't have screwed them up... probably.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    That was just to help me remember which line was fuel vs return. I didn't have a green zip tie for the other one. I guess they're different sizes, though, so I couldn't have screwed them up... probably.

-- Joe
    Lol if there’s a way to screw it up, I’ll find it

Today I confirmed that the low fuel light works (which makes sense, since that's just software handled by the DMCH box). I put more gas in the tank, but the gauge only goes up to 3/5 full. I'm thinking the arm is hung up on something. I foolishly tried to remove the old sender cap, forgetting that the filler is higher than the tank, and spilled gas everywhere. I'll try again once I've used a bit more gas.

If I had to pick which part of the gauge I'd want working, though, it would be the low side.

-- Joe

A quick follow up: my Tahoe sender was definitely hanging up on something. I finally got around to taking it out again and rotated it so that it matched the orientation of the DMCH pump, and the sender arm worked perfectly. I just had to bend it a bit more so that it actually reads full properly, while also making sure that it still makes goes all the way to empty. I was also able to put the access cover back on once I clipped off a couple extra pieces of plastic from the top of the unit (they probably were used to hold something in place on the Tahoe).

-- Joe

A quick follow up: my Tahoe sender was definitely hanging up on something. I finally got around to taking it out again and rotated it so that it matched the orientation of the DMCH pump, and the sender arm worked perfectly. I just had to bend it a bit more so that it actually reads full properly, while also making sure that it still makes goes all the way to empty. I was also able to put the access cover back on once I clipped off a couple extra pieces of plastic from the top of the unit (they probably were used to hold something in place on the Tahoe).

-- Joe
    Thanks for the update. I just recently installed a Tahoe unit on my car. It works fine but I’ve got a few minor things to clean up. The fitment of the access cover for one.

My cover still hits the very top of the "R" fuel connector a little, but you can still push it into place well enough to get the screws in. Before I fixed the sender arm and rotation this weekend, I just kind of threw the cover over the pump and stuck the spare tire on top and called it a day.

Admittedly, I haven't gone through a full tank of gas yet, so it's possible that I bent the arm too much and it doesn't actually get to empty, which I'll find out when either the gas light comes on or I run out of gas one day.

-- Joe

I just kind of threw the cover over the pump and stuck the spare tire on top and called it a day.
    Lol, that’s exactly what I’m doing (minus the spare. I’ve got tools and extra fluids in there instead).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast